difference between a record company and a production company?

N

Nathan Tate

maybe a really stupid question but i need a more detailed explanation of the differences for example, does a producer work for a record label or a production company? does a production company work with the artist, make the track and then a record company simply puts it onto cd and into a case? and what the role of the 2 business are and how they sync with each other.

thanx, peace

A Production company is a very vague term...

Producer owns a production company. But a production company could also work w/ film, theatre, and so on...

A record label gives an artist a budget, Sometimes the A n R finds beats or the sometiems artists pick who they want to work w/. The artist gets all his tracks done, hands over 20-30 songs to the A n R who picks the best 12-15... The final product is given the CEO of the label for approval, When it's approved, the 'master cd' is sent to the a pressing plant by the record label.. the record label and distribution company split the costs of pressing the cd...

kid848 said:
A Production company is a very vague term...

Producer owns a production company. But a production company could also work w/ film, theatre, and so on...

A record label gives an artist a budget, Sometimes the A n R finds beats or the sometiems artists pick who they want to work w/. The artist gets all his tracks done, hands over 20-30 songs to the A n R who picks the best 12-15... The final product is given the CEO of the label for approval, When it's approved, the 'master cd' is sent to the a pressing plant by the record label.. the record label and distribution company split the costs of pressing the cd...

Co-sign.. and would like to add by saying; A music production company is a business that is responsible for the production of master recordings of songs ready for manufacture and commercial release. Basically “subcontractors” to the major record labels for grooming and nurturing the artist. The main deal between label and production comp is a P&D deal(packaging/promotion & distribution deal). Which the major label advances production comp to handle such task as legal,pre-production, etc business involving the "project"(album). There's other ways a production company can be looked at or renders services, this is just from a stand point of Exec producing and album if you own your own production company.

ah i c, so the production company (or producer) deals with the making of the tracks, and the record label deals with the actual making/pressing of the albums/singles?

Nathan Tate said:
ah i c, so the production company (or producer) deals with the making of the tracks, and the record label deals with the actual making/pressing of the albums/singles?

yes...and production comp may also be called upon handling the legal stuff such as sample clearance,songwriter agreements signed, everyone involved with pre-production getting paid, etc but label gives production comp a budget to do that..

J-heat said:

yes...and production comp may also be called upon handling the legal stuff such as sample clearance,songwriter agreements signed, everyone involved with pre-production getting paid, etc but label gives production comp a budget to do that..

i cosign to that...
the production company route is the best route for any talented producer... as an independent production company you're in full control of your work in comparison to being an in-house producer for a label...

in being an in-house producer... you most likely have to give beats to wack or non marketable emcees on the label...

but with having your own production company... you pick and choose... decline and accept who you want to work with....

qenetic|storm said:

i cosign to that...
the production company route is the best route for any talented producer... as an independent production company you're in full control of your work in comparison to being an in-house producer for a label...

in being an in-house producer... you most likely have to give beats to wack or non marketable emcees on the label...

but with having your own production company... you pick and choose... decline and accept who you want to work with....

co-sign.. I'm sorry call me crazy but we will not work with someone if we dont believe in there talent. Money is for survival in this society and we're not greedy by any means, and stop spend on jacob watches.... but if we dont like it we wont deal with you.. In a way "inhouse" producers get steady pay but "F" giving any artist my beat. dont put my name on that ish if it aint hot!

qenetic|storm said:

I disagree. If you're an Indie production co. with no name... you really can't decline much... you're a nobody. If you in-house for a few years, get a solid discography, some buzz, and a solid relationship w/ some A n Rs... and THEN go Indie... you'll be MUCH better off. You'll have business already and still have the same freedom.

kid848 said:

I disagree. If you're an Indie production co. with no name... you really can't decline much... you're a nobody. If you in-house for a few years, get a solid discography, some buzz, and a solid relationship w/ some A n Rs... and THEN go Indie... you'll be MUCH better off. You'll have business already and still have the same freedom.

that could work..a&r are just like the reason chicago is called the "windy city" come and go faster than the eye blinks.. if your'e someone who feels a certain way about your music and dont want just anybody to hop on your stuff then "F" that. I dont knock anyone for gettin that papers b/c in this world you have to survive and society says money is the only way too.. but for me hell nah! if i dont believe in your talent then I'll pass. And most production comps are indies, When you say "indie" what do you mean. There's different ways to classifying a label/production comp a inde..

thanx peeps, dis post helped alot. i just thought i better know the business as best i can if i want to work in it.

peaceeee!!

Buy Donald S.Passman's book on 'all you need to know about the music business'.

dj_smiley_0 said:
Buy Donald S.Passman's book on 'all you need to know about the music business'.

Co-sign.. but also get this business of Music. Passmans books is "this biz of music" in plain english but "this biz" is the attorney/technical version. It's good to know both styles of language so you'll know what a basic industry person is talkin about and how the lawyers put stuff in terms..

Back