Bill Cosby disses Tupac

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexjay82

More tough-love talk from Cosby
He joins Save Our Children forum
By DAMON C. WILLIAMS

Comedian, author and native Philadelphian Bill Cosby posed a serious question yesterday to the audience at a Save Our Children forum in the auditorium of Community College of Philadelphia.

He first asked audience members who had lost loved ones to violence to stand up. More than 75 percent of those in the room stood.

"This is insane," he said. He then asked his question, "Where are we going as parents, as people?"

Speaking in simple, blunt terms, Cosby urged parents not to address their children in negative ways.

"Your child's name is not n-----, your 2-year-old child's name is not mother------," Cosby said, to rousing cheers and just a few gasps from parents in attendance.

Cosby's main issues in his keynote address as one of a number of speakers at the Community College-sponsored "Save Our Children - Exhoodus Tour" were parenting, education and drug-selling, all of which he touched on with just a hint of comedy.

Typical of Cosby's style of stinging and controversial commentary, he also faulted the love shown to the late rapper Tupac Shakur. He said it was crazy for Shakur, who was fatally shot in Las Vegas in 1996, and his mother to enjoy the proceeds from Shakur's drug sales.

"In the book, 'To Momma With Love,' or something like that, he is so happy that he's able to take money from selling cocaine and give the money to his mother," Cosby said.

"How wonderful. Isn't that wonderful. You've got to be kidding. How many lives have you ruined selling packets? How many mothers are not going to go to work because they want to snort? How many dead mothers because of crack, how many babies we got to make turn around because they are crack babies?"

Cosby said the house Shakur bought his mother should be adorned with the pictures of users who died due to drug use.

"Hang up the pictures of the people's lives you ruined," Cosby declared.

Cosby also briefly addressed the criticisms he has endured recently, saying that he doesn't pick on the poor but rather, he tells it like it is.

"[People say] 'Bill Cosby is picking on the poor.' I couldn't care less," Cosby said, with a little edge in his voice. "I'm telling you why your child is sad inside. I would keep my mouth shut if [parents] were doing things."

Cosby also said that he had the right to say what he says because he came from where the people he was addressing came from.

"Up to the age 26, [I lived at] 6159 N. 41st Street," Cosby said. "So don't play games with me. I've seen all of you, whether you are rich, poor or middle-income. And I know when you talk too much, and I know why you talk too much. And that's why I can say what I want to say."

Cosby was joined by Malik Aziz and Bilal Qayyum of Black Men United for a Better Philadelphia; the Rev. Derrick Johnson, of Joshua Harvest Church in Wilmington, Del; Umar Salahuddin, Atlantic City's director of health and human services; Michelle A. Simmons of Why Not Prosper, Inc.; Antoinette Jackson-Aziz, executive vice president of the Ex-Offenders Association of Pennsylvania; and brothers Lance and Todd Feurtado, motivational speakers from Queens, N.Y.

Wow.....he's kind of right though, imo.

wtf? what kind of man says this about another when hes dead?
besides, how else do you expect to eat/live when you have no job, no education, which is that persons fault, but how do you expect anything with nothing to give? pac gave money to his mom, so what if it was drug money, people in the hood have to live somehow, they may not like taking drug money, but there options are very limited... i mean, this is kinda ridiculous

It's a doubled edged sword to say the least. Cosby is right, lives were ruined on it. Might have seemed like the *easy way out* but by ALL means wasn't.

I mean you really can't stand on ONE side of this issue and that one alone.

Hell, America was built on dirty money AND unethical tactics, that'll never end.

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel Dr Cosby to a point. I dont think he should have used a dead man's name to make a point. I dont care how old and intelligent and how good of a point you are making you should never disrespect the dead. Tupac wasnt an angel but he did what he felt he had to do lest we forget his mother was an addict so he grew up around drugs.

Cosby is nuts. Tupac is a success story man come on...... selling crack to becoming a world famous musician....... Music that touched millions...inspired millions. He wasnt some bigtime Freeway Rick dealer. Pac's mother runs a charity organization for sick children or something right?

Dude is picking on one person. He's just mad because his son died.

Last time I check 2PAC didn't sell drugs. Not long for that matter. He sold drugs like for two weeks. I mean I love Bill and his work and I also like 2Pac. Bill brung up some dam good points but HIS AZZ NEED TO GET THE FACTS STRAIGHT!! PAC didn't buy his mom a house with drug money wtf he did that with his movie money. Cuz he dam show didn't buy with his rap career money. KNOW THE FACTS BILL!

Last edited:
INHOUSEBEATZ said:
Last time I check 2PAC didn't sell drugs. Not long for that matter. He sold drugs like for two weeks. I mean I love Bill and his work and I also like 2Pac. Bill brung up some dam good points but HIS AZZ NEED TO GET THE FACTS STRAIGHT!! PAC didn't buy his mom a house with drug money wtf he did that with his movie money. Cuz he dam show didn't buy with his rap career money. KNOW THE FACTS BILL!

either he did or didnt 2 weeks or 1 day he SOLD THEM...

i agree wit cosby... but he aint no saint so idk what his problem says...

Bill cosby is right in a certain way and wrong in others. It's a very debatable issue. On one hand yes, there are very limited options coming from the type of lifestyle 2pac had to grow up in ie. the hood, no education, not may job opportunites. But on the other hand, dirty money is still dirty money, esp. drug money. I always say, yes, you might be doing what you need to do to get by, but at what price. Chopping weed is one thing, but selling crack is imo equivilant to selling death. Do you pride yourself on buying a new home for your mom on the deaths of your fiends? Although I agree there are very limited job opportunites for people coming from the hood, but at the same time there is no one saying you can't go work at your local mcdonalds or something ya know. Money is money but what it really comes down to is how low you are willing to bend to get it. I personally, wouldnt be able to accept a house from my son knowing that he is buying it for me through crack sales, but that is just me. What do you guys think.

Mg 88 I agree with you all the way. Some rappers just glorifed it as if that's the way to get out the hood or a financial situitions. Easy money but Pac didn't glorifed it in his songs, he just let people this what was going on in black america but in a different light. I mean I wouldn't expect a house or money from my child if he made it with dope money. But to Pac that was a big deal to him because that was all he knew about. But then again he really didn't say in DEAR MAMA that he made money for drugs... I have 2 go back listen to the record.

Selling drugs is never an answer. Yeah it's easy money but your damaging people's lives...but a the same time if though's people that's buying the drug would SAY NO!....then it wouldn't be discustions like this.

FORGIVE ME FOR MY SPELLING.

http://www.soundclick.com/endhouze

Last edited:
I think Bill is a better role-model than Tupac

and LOL @ people trying to justify drug slanging. do it the same way everyone else on your block that aint selling drugs is doing it. and besides their are legal things you can hustle as well , just use your mind if you are absolutely opposed to going to school and getting a job that way

people dont have too sell drugs they just want too sell drugs. that no options thing is an excuse.selling drugs is the easist thing you can do. they dont wanna do ther stuff cause its harder.

The sad thing about this entire argument is that since Bill Cosby *dissed* THE *Tupac Shakur* whatever truth that IS in his side of the debate has little to NO value to closed minded people.

Sad fact

I recall there were public schools back in the late 70's and 80-90's also.

Biggie dropped out at 17.

He dropped out cause he was making so much crack money. Not because teachers were spraying him with hoses and sicing dogs on him!

Remember that!

Cosby means well its just his choice of words are off. He should empathize, be compasionate toward the people and try to understand the people he is trying to reach and then begin teaching.

traxxx said:
Cosby means well its just his choice of words are off. He should empathize, be compasionate toward the people and try to understand the people he is trying to reach and then begin teaching.
Man that'll work for SO many situations. :cheers:

California said:
I think Bill is a better role-model than Tupac

and LOL @ people trying to justify drug slanging. do it the same way everyone else on your block that aint selling drugs is doing it. and besides their are legal things you can hustle as well , just use your mind if you are absolutely opposed to going to school and getting a job that way

:cheers: yup... what he said

LOL @ the thread starter, never mind I won't.

In other words, Bill Cosby isn't dissing Tupac. It's truth and real. It might seemed to be a diss because many think Tupac as their dearest close friend or something or inspiration. People want to sell drugs they don't have to, well unless there forced. No one should fear any man, if so your not a man and weak. I always thought Tupac wasn't a role model to young people in the world. I don't think Bill Cosby said anything about that, but am like today young people don't know anything they'll take an image for granted. We all so far pretty much agree on this subject.

One thing that has hurt black people is dumbing there selves or so one else down.

LOL @ the "how else are you supposed to survive in the hood" mentality. The vast majority that live in the hood do not resort to selling drugs and they survive. They choose to struggle more in order to live a straight, honest life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back