Best synth for funk house

acm

Best synth for funk/french/disco house

I'm relatively new to producing, and looking for a synthesizer that can do the following:

1. professional sounding house drum beats. Whenever I go to the pro audio shop, seems like I can never get those synths to make any drum beat what-so-ever. Are there any that produce a high quality one?

2. less trancy toons, more disco related. Maybe what I really need is a sampler, but again, the synths i try out are always trancey wish-wash'es

Just so you know, Im looking to produce music along the lines of daft punk, bob sinclar, basement jaxx, etc.

Help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:
Sampler

Yep, you'll need a sampler... First of all for the beats you're talking about... You can get full samplesets for almost any drum machine on the world on the internet, so that would solve your drum question...

About synths to use... Try to find the gearlist of bassement jaxx... I would guess they have a Nord Lead inthere

Re: Best synth for funk/french/disco house

Hi!

Okay let me help you here...

"1. professional sounding house drum beats. Whenever I go to the pro audio shop, seems like I can never get those synths to make any drum beat what-so-ever. Are there any that produce a high quality one?"

I suggest that you get yourself a sampler. If you choose an AKAI S5000, beef it with 128MB of RAM, the O.S. 2.0, and the USb extension (VERY important, changes everything). Then, buy a few SAMPLE CDs. quality ones, with tons of beats. most of the artists are sampling and modifying the samples in order to get what they want. Build a library this way, with both cds, and your own kits. Synthesizers are not all sample based, and it is hard to get away from the analog-electro-kraftwerk type of drums if you cant use sample based drums.

"2. less trancy toons, more disco related. Maybe what I really need is a sampler, but again, the synths i try out are always trancey wish-wash'es"

Well here again... the artists do have old and new synths (TB303, SH101, Waldorf, Access, etc..) and are sampling them, then they move the sound around the place in their wave editor, and create patches for their samplers.

I talk a lot about sampling here, but i dont use much samplers myself. However for what you are looking for, this is what you want to explore. Daft Punk were in concert in my town in France, and my friends told me that they only had a PC controlling a HUGE amount of samplers. Then they had synths and stuff to play "live" on the top. but most of the stuff was triggering samplers.

good luck man, hope this helps

"Im looking to produce music along the lines of daft punk, bob sinclar, basement jaxx, etc."

follow-up

wow guys, talk about fast replies (especially since its 3:00am where I am)

I guess my followup question would be: Why use a sampler when I could do all the cut&pasting on my computer with cooledit or recycle or the like? What does a sampler have to offer?

Thanks again!

with a sampler you can play NOTES on a keybaord, and trigger SEVERAL voices of sampling at the same time

samplers can do more than a classic beatloop you know.. I use samplers to do realistic violins and other strings. Basically it's exactly like a synthesizer but the basis of your instrument/patch is made of samples instead of "waveforms".

when you cutnpaste its very differnt.. this is actually called "mixing" when you build your song and master it. Its different. Again, a sampler is not a jukebox, its an instrument

Back