Best Supersaw Synth sound

DjEssentia

Hey Im looking into buying a synth again and Im looking for something that has great quality sound and a nice Supersaw sound also for like trance and that stuffy...

Ive been recommended:
-Waldorf Q Rack
-JP 8000

anything else I should take a look into?

To my knowledge, the Korg MS2000 and Roland SH-32 both offer a supersaw waveform. However, the supersaw sound is mostly attributed to the Roland JP-8000.

Ted

You want a supersaw synth ?
Get the JP-8000/8080. That is THE supersaw synth.
I have pretty much (well actually very much) experience with most analog and virtual analogue synths and no one can make that infamous sound better than the JP itself - also the JP's filter is very nice (for a VA) and a seriously relevant part of the sound.
Of course you can take 7 fat 'real' analog saw waves separately and mix them, but it is still not the same...

And not to forget: for less than $800 you'll have your JP-80x0 and still save ± $100-200 !!

Yes I agree... i have yet heard a better 'super saw' sound than that of the JP-80X0... of course the super saw is simply the name of a waveform used by Roland for their JP-80X0 synths... the roland supersaw waveform is a combination of 7 detuned saw waves.
Not sure if even if 7 analogue detuned saw waves would sound as good as rolands Super Saw, due to the fact that the Roland saw has such defined teeth behind them, giving great overtone definition, and adding more detune just adds to the fatness. Also, as THM mentioned, filters have a lot to do with the final sound too...

They will also be adding the supersaw to the V-Synth XT, so probably was added in the new OS (for existing V-synths too). Also, the Virus TI is supposed to have the biggest supersaw yet if it ever ends up being released (demo sounds really promising). But for now, can get 80X0s for pretty cheap second hand and can't go wrong there.

McSmooth said:
They will also be adding the supersaw to the V-Synth XT, so probably was added in the new OS (for existing V-synths too). Also, the Virus TI is supposed to have the biggest supersaw yet if it ever ends up being released (demo sounds really promising). But for now, can get 80X0s for pretty cheap second hand and can't go wrong there.

Even so, I doubt that the Virus' hypersaw (thats what Access is calling it) will sound like the jp-8000.

Actually, I'm kind of skeptical as to whether or not the hypersaw on the new Virus is even a modeled oscillator. I wouldnt be at all surprised if it was integrated as part of their new wavetable technology (i.e. sweeping through the wavetable will give you more saws). If this is the case, the Waldorf XT had a hypersaw wavetable years ago.

Hi Guys,

I have to disagree with what you're saying about the JP8000/8080. The supersaw sound is awfully cheap in comparison to the sound of the Virus. I know because I have both the JP8000 and the 8080, and up against the Virus, they sound like cheap toys.

Have a listen to this guy's sound patches designed on the JP and the Virus...

http://www.vengeance-sound.de/eng/indexes/indexSounds.html

Save for a Virus, it's the only way!

pseudo

Last edited:
Yeah I think I agree in some sence, but their by no means toys, and ur talking a diffrence ofr what 600 dollars between the two synths so I would ofcoruse expect a better saw sound from th TI

yeah, the synths are not toys, they're very flexible, but the sound they produce is flat and uninspiring compared to the virus. I've had them for about 6 years, and have learnt to program good sounds with them, but still my patches lacked depth and sparkle. I thought it must have been something missing in the rest of the studio (compression, excitement, eq etc), but now that I've heard what the virus is capable of straight out of the box, it's clear that the JP just has a toylike sound. It is responsible for the cheap sounding trance I loathe so badly. It was only after I heard the sound design patches on that link I posted that I realised the JP was the culprit.

It's still capable of awesome sounds, but if you need to create powerful lead sounds which carry a melody, the JP just isn't up to it. Unless you want your music to sound cheap... which I do not, so I'm heading for Access!

Last edited:
Fully disagree !!!!!! :mad:

If you have a JP, use it well and you'll hear that it has a solid sound.
Toy sound ? Poor tweakers... :p

routine404 said:
..." it's clear that the JP just has a toylike sound. It is responsible for the cheap sounding trance"...

It's still capable of awesome sounds, but if you need to create powerful lead sounds which carry a melody, the JP just isn't up to it. Unless you want your music to sound cheap... which I do not, so I'm heading for Access!

I also diagree - the JP imo definitely is great for leads, as it has a very bold sound that stands out in the mix. Most of the time, you only have to use one OSC to get nice sounding leads, at times 2 to add some uniqueness to the patch. Where as the virus can sound good too, but a lot of times I may use unison using two or more voices to get thicker sounds out of it.
Keep in mind that you can get good out of just about any VA... but each will have its own distinct character and personality - some darker some bolder or brighter - you just have to know the little niche for that synth to get that extra special sweetness out of it. For example you have one patch sound - lets say you can create the same type of patch on all of three of those synths - you may follow some of the basic principles on developing that patch on all three synths, but may take a different approach on carving out the sound for each synth to make the patch stand out and sound good.

Back