Beastie Boys Distorted Vocal Effect

wow, my browser really pulled a good one here, um... ok, my question anyway

on ill communications, almost half of the tracks, there's an effect on their voices that sounds distorted, almost like a bad mic or something, i've heard it in other songs by other artists as well, but this was handy, um... what is it exactly? tough guy is a good example of it, pz!

yelling through the megaphone? like actually get a megaphone and yell through it and record it? haha

I've often wondered about this myself, particularly about the b-boys and some of the distinct effects you are talking about on their vocals...I am not sure, but I think in this case it is just recording really hot to 2-inch tape actually distorting it a little...I noticed on their new album there is none of this distinct sound on there, and the whole thing was recorded digitally apparently...

Just a guess and a hunch, but also Mario Caldatto I read likes to run through tape, and this effect is probably notorious in alot of songs he produced with them.

I think you'll get closer to that using a $5 mic than a tape machine. The sound is not a warm saturated one it's just a horrible distorted one - which i happen to love. I've reproduced the same effect in the past using the mic from a CB radio without needing to go "recording really hot to 2-inch tape actually distorting it a little". LOL.

Anyway if you want some Beasties fun check this link here:

http://halley.lunarpages.com/~djbc002/beastles/

Some of those are great.

:)

MM

Last edited:
I just couldnt imagine the Beasties using a crap microphone to achieve the effect I am thinking of....I personally think its some kind of processing/technique/efffect. Another example of the kind of thing I am thinking about is on classic's like "whatcha want", and other's where they have this distinctly original effect on their voice, which could be construed as having a little hint of distortion/grimey kinda sound to it. I think *part* of achieving this effect could be tracking really hot through tape, but apparently thats just funny.

I have no idea about the punk rock type songs like "tough guy" that were mention in this thread, that could indeed be a crappy mic cuz it kinda sounds like it, but who knows. The others, ("so watcha want") I dont think so as far as simply using a crappy mic....no way-

Oh, bad ass link on the beastles...ha..good stuff...never seen that-

Back