backing up vinyl collection to a HD?

Lodger

Certified Funk Master
hey, all

I'm currently pondering a project that I'm debating starting on. I'm primarily a sample based producer and over the years i've collected about +-2.5k records. I know i'll have to move out of state in about a year...and sadly all of that wax cant possibly travel with me. I'm thinking of getting a 500 gb harddrive to back up all of that stuff...

i was curious...has anyone here done any converting on that scale before? any idea of how much hd space an lp takes up? would mp3 be a suitable option? thanks

-Lodger

I deff recommend Hi quality MP3 at 320, anything less and you know its a MP3. Also get couple of 500 gig drives and back up to DVD. You want to have as many copies of your collection as you can. Also you can start shipping the wax to me. maybe we can set something up as you record it. I know few people who are recording there wax. Maybe I should get some more info on it myself.

What up,

2500 records is a lot of ish. That is going to be some task. It can be done there is no doubt about that. What are you gonna do about workflow though? I was thinking about backing up my vinyl on HD just cause it would make my sampling workflow better in some instances but maybe a lil less spontaneous cause I like to listen to my records and then when I get a feeling, record that song right on the spot into my laptop. Flipping through my mp3's jus doesn't give me the same feel. I am more likely to throw them in my media player and wonder off physically or mentally.

If I were you I'd think of an organized system of how you are going to do this. I would pick out those records your taking (I know your not going to leave behind all your records). Then ofcourse out of the records you will leave behind I'd start with the ones that mean the most to you. I'd also devise a method and time schedule. One thing that might help you is to record one whole side of a record and don't bother to break up the tracks since your doing this primarily for storage purposes. Just create a folder, label it whatever the album title is, and place the two mp3's in the folder labeled; side a & side b. You can always go back and split up the album sides into tracks in a wave editor later. Since your on a time schedule I'd designate blocks of time out of the day in which you are just gonna record. I can't think of anything else really.

PEACE

Oh ****... recording 2500 records... Man that's a lot of work. Why don't just record the best ones, and then stash the records at your parents place or something? Hehe

yeah im definately going to need to do a "triage" sort of thing here- im thinking of just going through, first separating the musts, the maybes, and the probably nots...taking the musts with me, dubbing the maybes, and stashing the probably nots... still though, that's probably still 1200 or so.

Back