Audacity and Adobe Audition...

F

Frangelo

which has better performance and more contents? I'm currently using Audacity right now but I heard Adobe Audition is better. pls enlighten me.

PFFF.. Since the release of adobe audiotion 2.0 is is a force to be reckoned with. Audacity is nothing. Compare specs on their websites.

Last edited by a moderator:
I often feel like tying a mic cable around my neck and throwing myself out the window after using audacity, I hate it.

Audition is the best audio editor i've ever used. I've been using it since the early cool edit days.

Its better in everyway, except for the fact that audacity is free. But you get what you pay for

Yeh, audition is a snap. You can edit everything with ease and flexibility audacity lacks.

Hey, I just got a Mac and from what I can tell so far Audition isn't apple compatible and Audacity is just awful. Can you guys recommend a program to me that's similar to Audition for Mac? Thanks.

What's everyone else using to record?

Nothing beats the routing power of Reaper,and it's free until 1.0.
No sense dropping a buch of cash on Audition until you try Reaper first.
I hear it could be as high as $300 after it drops at 1.0,but I there might be a affordable introductry offer around $20.
The developer will not enforce any copy protection of any sort however,so you can pay when you can afford it.
Copied and pasted from the web site.

Some key benefits of REAPER are:
Extremely small footprint (full featured, with an installer that is approximately 1MB)
Easy to start using: simply drag and drop one of many kinds of files in to edit existing material, or insert a track and arm it for recording. No complex project or definitions to set up.
Fast and powerful editing facilities: split, resize, fade/crossfade, pitch shift, timestretch, copy/paste and loop media items with ease. Ripple editing is available, too.
Unrivaled routing capabilities: send tracks to any number of other tracks or hardware outputs, with lots of options (pre-fx, post-fx, independent faders, mono or stereo). Not interested in advanced routing? You don't have to use it (and it certainly won't get in the way.)
Powerful recording options (supports pre-fx, post-fx recording, can record mixed output of multiple tracks, etc), supports switching record inputs/modes on the fly, input monitoring options (including tape-style auto input monitoring mode), supports auto-punch-in/punch-out, and more. If you want. Otherwise, it just behaves as you would expect.
Support for MIDI files, recording MIDI, and VSTi/DXi softsynths. MIDI can be integrated and mixed with audio.
User arrangeable user interface with color themes: make REAPER look how you want it to look, and arrange (or hide) elements of the user interface to suit your needs.
Support for consolidating track edits and rendering track stems, to enable easy export for other applications.
Includes many Jesusonic effects, and supports many plug-ins (including VST and DX plug-ins).
Basic features:
Support for an unlimited number of audio tracks
Audio tracks are all fully routable (multiple inputs, outputs)
Volume, pan controls and envelopes per track
Supports audio processing plug-ins (DirectX, DXi, VST, VSTi, and Jesusonic) with automation, easy chain manipulation and editing
Pitch shifting and time stretching
Fast, reasonable and usable Windows-style UI, working well on both low and high resolutions or multiple monitors
ASIO, Kernel Streaming, WaveOut, and DirectSound support for playback and recording
Reads WAV, OGG, MP3 and MIDI files, records WAV and MIDI files
Can render to WAV, OGG, MP3 if lame is installed
Full SMP support (can utilize 2 or more processors)
Multi-layer undo/redo support
Basic MIDI editing support
User creatable color themes
Advanced features:
Unlimited send/receives per track, with configurable parameters (pre-fx, post-fx, volume/pan adjustment/envelopes, mix to mono, phase, etc)
Any track can act as a bus, giving amazingly huge routing flexibility
Tracks can have one or more (mono or stereo) hardware sends, for analog mixing capability
Fully routable/FX-able folder tracks that can contain and group tracks
Item grouping
Ripple editing
Grid/snap support with highly configurable options
Markers and Regions
Unlimited takes per media item
Auto punch-in/punch-out functionality
Automatic record monitoring modes
Selection length granularity options as well as grid snapping
Tempo envelope (for grid lines/snapping/ruler), playspeed envelope
Project consolidation/export options (for rendering all or parts of any number of tracks to WAV/etc)
A UI and architecture that allows you to easily cut loops of many tracks simultaneously, without having to write them to disk
Support for plug-in generated media (such as click tracks, etc)
Project tempo envelopes for variable tempos in track, grid/snapping that supports variable tempos
64-bit floating point sample pipeline for high quality
Advanced recording and monitoring options -- examples:
You can route multiple tracks (inputs and/or media items) into a bus, and record THAT mixed down version.
You can record the input signal, or record the post-FX, post-track-rendere signal.
You can switch recording sources on the fly, even while recording.
You can arm/disarm tracks' inputs while playing or recording.
A sampling of qualities that makes REAPER sensible:
Sane, human readable, human editable, backwards and forwards compatible project file format
Options to build peaks for recorded files on the fly
Lots of control for the user to specify where recorded files go, etc, when dealing with many projects.
Template support to make it easy to load a project template and save it as a new project when you begin.
Input/output channel name aliasing (why view your inputs as "MOTU 896: Analog 1" when you could have them be "Vocal Mic", etc).
Options for automatically backing up project files to alternate paths, timestamped versions, etc.
Things planned for REAPER v1.0 (coming mid 2006) that are not in this release:
More annotations
More fade shapes
More envelope shapes
More MIDI functionality
Higher quality resampling modes
Public plug-in API
Better control surface support
MBCS filename compatibility
Things that are planned, but lack a specific timetable:
ASIO DM support
Rewire support
Multi-language support

Nothing beats the routing power of Reaper,and it's free until 1.0.
No sense dropping a buch of cash on Audition until you try Reaper first.
I hear it could be as high as $300 after it drops at 1.0,but I there might be a affordable introductry offer around $20.
The developer will not enforce any copy protection of any sort however,so you can pay when you can afford it.
Copied and pasted from the web site.

Some key benefits of REAPER are:
Extremely small footprint (full featured, with an installer that is approximately 1MB)
Easy to start using: simply drag and drop one of many kinds of files in to edit existing material, or insert a track and arm it for recording. No complex project or definitions to set up.
Fast and powerful editing facilities: split, resize, fade/crossfade, pitch shift, timestretch, copy/paste and loop media items with ease. Ripple editing is available, too.
Unrivaled routing capabilities: send tracks to any number of other tracks or hardware outputs, with lots of options (pre-fx, post-fx, independent faders, mono or stereo). Not interested in advanced routing? You don't have to use it (and it certainly won't get in the way.)
Powerful recording options (supports pre-fx, post-fx recording, can record mixed output of multiple tracks, etc), supports switching record inputs/modes on the fly, input monitoring options (including tape-style auto input monitoring mode), supports auto-punch-in/punch-out, and more. If you want. Otherwise, it just behaves as you would expect.
Support for MIDI files, recording MIDI, and VSTi/DXi softsynths. MIDI can be integrated and mixed with audio.
User arrangeable user interface with color themes: make REAPER look how you want it to look, and arrange (or hide) elements of the user interface to suit your needs.
Support for consolidating track edits and rendering track stems, to enable easy export for other applications.
Includes many Jesusonic effects, and supports many plug-ins (including VST and DX plug-ins).
Basic features:
Support for an unlimited number of audio tracks
Audio tracks are all fully routable (multiple inputs, outputs)
Volume, pan controls and envelopes per track
Supports audio processing plug-ins (DirectX, DXi, VST, VSTi, and Jesusonic) with automation, easy chain manipulation and editing
Pitch shifting and time stretching
Fast, reasonable and usable Windows-style UI, working well on both low and high resolutions or multiple monitors
ASIO, Kernel Streaming, WaveOut, and DirectSound support for playback and recording
Reads WAV, OGG, MP3 and MIDI files, records WAV and MIDI files
Can render to WAV, OGG, MP3 if lame is installed
Full SMP support (can utilize 2 or more processors)
Multi-layer undo/redo support
Basic MIDI editing support
User creatable color themes
Advanced features:
Unlimited send/receives per track, with configurable parameters (pre-fx, post-fx, volume/pan adjustment/envelopes, mix to mono, phase, etc)
Any track can act as a bus, giving amazingly huge routing flexibility
Tracks can have one or more (mono or stereo) hardware sends, for analog mixing capability
Fully routable/FX-able folder tracks that can contain and group tracks
Item grouping
Ripple editing
Grid/snap support with highly configurable options
Markers and Regions
Unlimited takes per media item
Auto punch-in/punch-out functionality
Automatic record monitoring modes
Selection length granularity options as well as grid snapping
Tempo envelope (for grid lines/snapping/ruler), playspeed envelope
Project consolidation/export options (for rendering all or parts of any number of tracks to WAV/etc)
A UI and architecture that allows you to easily cut loops of many tracks simultaneously, without having to write them to disk
Support for plug-in generated media (such as click tracks, etc)
Project tempo envelopes for variable tempos in track, grid/snapping that supports variable tempos
64-bit floating point sample pipeline for high quality
Advanced recording and monitoring options -- examples:
You can route multiple tracks (inputs and/or media items) into a bus, and record THAT mixed down version.
You can record the input signal, or record the post-FX, post-track-rendere signal.
You can switch recording sources on the fly, even while recording.
You can arm/disarm tracks' inputs while playing or recording.
A sampling of qualities that makes REAPER sensible:
Sane, human readable, human editable, backwards and forwards compatible project file format
Options to build peaks for recorded files on the fly
Lots of control for the user to specify where recorded files go, etc, when dealing with many projects.
Template support to make it easy to load a project template and save it as a new project when you begin.
Input/output channel name aliasing (why view your inputs as "MOTU 896: Analog 1" when you could have them be "Vocal Mic", etc).
Options for automatically backing up project files to alternate paths, timestamped versions, etc.
Things planned for REAPER v1.0 (coming mid 2006) that are not in this release:
More annotations
More fade shapes
More envelope shapes
More MIDI functionality
Higher quality resampling modes
Public plug-in API
Better control surface support
MBCS filename compatibility
Things that are planned, but lack a specific timetable:
ASIO DM support
Rewire support
Multi-language support

http://www.cockos.com/reaper/

I should point out that if your using it after 1.0 you should buy it,but the developer does'nt seem worried about people getting thier hands on a free copy to test run.
Completely differant than say stienberg who do not even offer a demo.
Quote from the developer on the Reaper forums:
"So just to keep you guys in the loop, this is my current thought on pricing-- it is fully open for discussion as I will take all valid input and arguments seriously.

The thought is this:

+ You will be able to use REAPER without paying, even if it means you are technically in violation of the license. We'd be saying "if you use REAPER for more than 30 days, you NEED a license, but we think it's bad taste to have the software enforce that"

+ There will be amateur licenses that are cheap, like $20-$50 or so.

+ For people who want to use it in a studio or for professional use, i.e. content which they are being paid for etc, their license will be more expensive, perhaps $300.

There would be an upgrade from an amateur license to professiona which would just be the difference.

Again, realistically users can get away with whatever they are comfortable with, but the idea being if REAPER is making you money, and you keep using it past 30 days, you should be able to afford (and be willing to) paying the higher price for it.

That being said, since I talked **** about it being $20 all around from the beginning, I may make the first 2 weeks all licenses $20 or something, as an early adopter special.

Note that all of this is extremely tenative and should not be considered a plan. So don't hold me to any of it!

-Justin"

Ive used cool edit and hated it never tried audition tho. i like audacity tho i used to be a hardcore soundsforge user and i left it alone to go to audacity in my eyes audacity is great. its smaller than both audition and soundforge which is good kuz i dont like wasting space if i dont have to and it gets the job done very well and quickly. personally if i were u id get my hands on audacity or soundforge. a lot of people like auditon i just dont wave lab and gold wave are good too but still not as good as soundforge or audition imo

Back