Any Peavey Rotomix dj Mixer in here?

K

kur

Hello everyone!

I've been planning to get the vestax pmc 46 Mkii mixer for a while now. But, then I read the review of Rotomix on remix mag and really like to find out more about this mixer. I've done all the search on the nets for other reviews and so on but have not found any useful info/fact/opinions to help me making the decision. I am debating to whether go ahead and buy the pmc 46 mkii or wait for getting more info of rotomix and buy it. Now, what i need is more info from people who actually own and use the Rotomix.

Is there any dj on this board that currently uses the rotomix? May i ask for your in depth opinion? Is the overal quality the same as pmc 46 Mkii? would you recommend it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am now miserably living my life w/out a mixer.

Thank you all.
Kur

if you're gonna consider a rotary mixer, save up some cash and buy ya a used bozak off ebay.
i payed 650 for mine, u might have to have a little bit of restoration work done on the unit as they are very old (70's), but it's worth it, i promise.
as far as peavey, i have never had good experience with their mixers, their speakers are okay, but their mixers aren't that great, i personally wouldnt trust a peavey product in my rig, but that's just personal preference.
Josh
edit: went and looked at the peavey website, even looking at that thing i can tell you that it's probably not worth it, it just looks "cheap".
i looked at their description, and from what i can tell it's typical, proffesional grade blah blah, but i didnt see any actual specs, that tells me right there that it's not worth it.
a rotary mixer is a great way to go, i own one and i love it, esp.. for house/techno/trance where smooth transitions are a key.

It's nowhere near the PMC46mkII in terms of quality, it's more like a Gemini. The PMC46, in turn, is nowhere near something like a Urei or a Bozak.

there's another rotomix review in an older DJ times issue. If you're interested, I'll see if I can find out which specific issue it was.

thank you guys for your input. Talking about Urei 1620, I heard of it and never thought of owning one because I am just a bedroom dj. Anything I buy will be used for bedroom dj, not pro. I heard lots of times about this Urei mixer, but just one question for you guys.

I live in an apartment where there is no sound proof wall, I can't play my music loud. Most of the times, I do djing a mixed cd or tape for friends through headphones. The pmc 46 allows me to do the mixing through headphones. Will I be able to do the same thing with Urei 1620 mixer?

Please advise. Thanks again .. guys!
K.

get the Rane rotary mixer. why bother with a 25 year old mixer........

Last edited by a moderator:
get the Rane rotary mixer. why bother with a 25 year old mixer........
because the bozak and urei rotary mixers are sonically superior to the rane even if they are 25 years old. - jeff h

dont knock a urei till you try one, i have a bozak (pre urei better in some poeople's opinions, the urei was basically a stolen bozak design anyway from what i recall) and i have never heard ANYTHING like it.
as far as the headphone thing, no you cant with that mixer.
the rane i BELIEVE you can, but dont quote me.
i've never played on the rane, but i do own a rane ttm56 and it is a great mixer, but i've read mixed reviews of their rotary model.
there are ways to modify the bozak and or urei to have a split cue option or the ability to mix 2 channels in the headphone at once, but i'm in no way qualified to explain that one.
urei's btw go for like 2 grand, bozaks for less than a grand, you decide which one is the better buy.
Josh
edit:
thanks dynagroove, i posted about the same time you did.
play on a urei/bozak/rane side by side, i PROMISE you you will hear a difference.
we can argue this forever, as it has been talked about tremendously on this forum.
let's just say us true rotary heads have our own opinion, and we stand FIRMLY behind it.

dynagroove said:
because the bozak and urei rotary mixers are sonically superior to the rane even if they are 25 years old. - jeff h

hahahaha

show me a Urei or Bozak mixer that has lived in a smoke filled club for 20 years, has worn out pots and beat to hell that sounds better then a brand new Rane.
:holds up middle finger:

yea, that's what i said - a beat up mixer that's been kicked down the street after spending 20 years in a smoke bath...

i'm not knocking the rane, infact the 2016 will most likely be my next mixer.

nice touch man, i really appreciate it. - jeff h

mine's pretty beat up and i'm sure it sounds just as good as that rane, and dont be such a prick.
you have your opinion and i have mine, but you dont have to be an ahole about it.
Josh

djvartan said:

hahahaha

show me a Urei or Bozak mixer that has lived in a smoke filled club for 20 years, has worn out pots and beat to hell that sounds better then a brand new Rane.

I'm a pretty lenient guy, but I gotta come out and say that you act like such a twat sometimes. Why point out the obvious without taking into account the basis of the discussion, as well as doing it in a really snotty manner? Pull your socks up, man.

maybe he just needs a laxative, i think he's full of sh!t.
Josh

djvartan said:

hahahaha

What ever happen to respect??? :(

Ranes are sweet mixers, but the bozak cma10 is just a classic. You can't beat the craftsmanship and of rudy bozak and alex rosner. To me it's like saying a turntablist like dj dopey beats the living crap out of grandmaster dst. Even though it may be true, you forget that dst inspired a whole generation of djs. Without innovators we wouldn't be where we are today. It's the same with gear. You need to show some respect.

Oh and BTW, i do own a rane mixer so don't blab on about the quality. and im sorta looking at buying a mp2016 w/ xp2016, or a bozak cma-10 if i can find one in the midwest usa.

Last edited by a moderator:
Play nicely... It is not wise to insult people who contribute lots to this forum.

I own a MP/XP 2016 currently, and I will be the first to tell you that a 25 year old Bozak sounds much better. You may have to replace the pots, but that is because they are wear parts. They are not going to last forever on the 2016 either. What we should all be asking is why no companies can come out with anything that sounds and works better with three decades of new technology.

dj chex said:

What ever happen to respect??? :(

Ranes are sweet mixers, but the bozak cma10 is just a classic. You can't beat the craftsmanship and of rudy bozak and alex rosner. To me it's like saying a turntablist like dj dopey beats the living crap out of grandmaster dst. Even though it may be true, you forget that dst inspired a whole generation of djs. Without innovators we wouldn't be where we are today. It's the same with gear. You need to show some respect.

"respect" what a funny word. tell ya what, why dont you show me some before i go off on your ass! im not joking around anymore.

lets recap this thread.

the guys asks about a peavey mixer, then you guys tell him to buy a 20 year old mixer off EBAY ( the last place you wanna pay lots of cash for hardware) 90% of the old rotary mixers are beat to hell. to bring them up to par you gonna spend $200-$300. i tell the guy to buy a RANE. a great mixer that is BRAND NEW made buy a great company. no head aches with the old mixer. no headaches about the ebay purchase. down the road are you guys gonna tell a dj to buy 20 year old used TECHNICS 1200's?

Back