Akai S1000....... is it for me?

D

dj funkifize

Ok, I need a sampler, and I don't care about ease of use really... All I want is a sampler with good sounds, quality build, and that will do all the functions of a good sampler (editing, loop, midi playback, ability to create your own instruments). And most importantly.... I DON'T WANT TO SPEND A LOT OF $$$. My range is $0-$300. And I think I can get a used one for 200 or so.
Is the S1000 good for what I want? Any recommendations on any other samplers I might want to look at?

Thanks alot. :)
Mike S

You sound confused...

You say you want one with good sounds - samplers don't come with any sounds. thats the point. You fill them yourself, with any sounds you like.

You say 'make your own instruments'.This would lead me to believe your actually looking for a synthesiser.

by good sounds, I mean that I heard some older emu samplers don't give a very good sound for all instruments, I heard it's kind of a muddyish sound. It plays back kind of darker than the original sound.

And by make my own instruments, I mean mapping (is this a better term?) my own instruments. I have a friend who plays bass, I want to be able to sample him chromatically and load those into the sampler and create an "instrument definition" (maybe a better term?) with his bass. Also be able to do that with any sound.

The first point - on quality...

The quality of recorded samplers depends on their BIT DEPTH and SAMPLE RATE. CD's are 16bit and 44'100Hz sample rate - most samplers now support this. Older samplers didn't - because it uses so much memory.

The mapping...i think i know what your trying to say - but it won't work properly - because even with multisamples of a bass guitar - playing them on the keyboard won't ever sound realistic. And the further you move on the keyboard from the original pitch of the sampled sound - the stranger the representation becomes, because a sampler just slows down a sample to make it a lower note, or speeds it up for higher notes. It's ok with synth sounds etc because the ear can't compare it to a real sound - but real instruments sound crap because you know that its wrong!

hmmm... yeah, but I thought with a sampler, you could record each of the chromatic notes and assign each one to the corresponding key on the controller and then there would be no need for any pitch shifting. Because then for example, on the controller, C3 would be playing the C3, and C#3 would be playing the C#3 (which is actually C3#, not C3 pitch shifted to sound like C#), etc...
I know this can be done on gigasampler. And since gigasampler is suposedly modeled after real (hardware) samplers, I figured it could be done on real samplers. I just wanted to be sure the S1000 was able to do this.

Maybe I'm off on some of the terms (like mapping, instrument definitions etc) But I am pretty sure that this kind of thing is a standard on the newest samplers. Like I said, I want to know if the S1000 can do this as it is an older model.

and thanks for your help so far :)

wait wait...

first, funkifize, this thread/question is very interesting, thanks for posting! :)

secondly.. although I agree and enjoyed ukcoolat's posts, I want to say that it IS possible to create your own virtual instruments on a sampler.. OF COURSE IT IS NOT the exact same feeling as if it was played on the real strings, but it is technically possible.

I mean... there are some very sweet orchestra CDROMS for akais that are quite realistic sounding. One key tip to ease the ear when listening to sequenced instruments is to add a good reverb to the sound, it often makes the sound a little softer and feels more as if it was played.

Thanks Mano.
But what I'm most concerned about is that will the S1000 do all this? Or should I spend more and get an S2000 or S3000? I'm again having the same problems as with all the other gear research.... all the reviews say it's does a great job, but none clearly explain everything it exactly does. So I already said what I want it to do. Will it do it? Will I be too limited if I choose this sampler?
also, am I correct in thinking that I can use this as a midi file player? to play back my compositions. (the most rigerous use would be an orchestral composition) So it uses the instruments from the sampler.

-Mike S

Last edited by a moderator:
you should get one of the latest... S5000 is fine, or Yamaha A3/4/5000, or EMU ESI2000 E4000 etc..

they are much bette.r.. they work with more RAM, more polyphony, they use the same file system as your computer, etc..

or.. if you decide to go for th eold ones.. then get one that has everything (options, etc..) such as the S3200CD or XL ...

S1000 is a very good sampler.....

.... to start with. My man Fonz, he works with our S1000 for 5 years now, and he´s making some of the illest beats on this very Globe.... You don´t need no high tech sampler to make dope music. At least, for makin´ hip-hop, the s1000 is very good company. I work with an s2000...

Check our steez on www.dutchfinest.net...

P´s

well, I finally bought my sampler,

I got an ESI 4000. It's not here yet, but I ordered it.
I can't wait!
:)
thanks guys for all your help

Back