80's Synth bass tutorial - (Boogie Funk / G-Funk / Zapp & Roger style) REASON

DiggyDre

What's up everybody. I started a website called Vindictive Sound Labs, Inc. which has new and interesting drum kits and an upcoming G-Funk Reason refill that includes all synth patches that are playable as well as a HUGE HUGE drum kit. That one actually features REAL playable moog sounds that were created on a moog and then multi-sampled into the NN-XT to create a patch.
I started a youtube channel to help showcase some of the kits and then I thought it would be great to start doing tutorials too. Here is a tutorial that will show you how to do a Zapp & Roger / Boogie Funk / G-Funk type of bass in the subtractor of Propellerhead Reason that truly has a nice, vintage, old school feel. If you guys want to go further with the sound, try to add the Scream4 distortion unit and find a setting that you like. I think I used the "Subtle Warmer" setting. If you guys like it, please comment, like, and subscribe. Thanks guys.....

By the way, I have NO clue why the audio recorder part of my screen capture completely messed up the modulation. Copy the modulation that I have or play with it to get your own taste. The point of this tutorial is strictly the tone of the bass.

Last edited:
Dope, I started making beats on Reason when I was 8. Now its FL Studio but I may get back to Reason cuz it go hard as well

I honestly never upgraded to Reason 8 because I'm a Pro Tools guy when it comes to recording so I stayed with my older Reason but now they got all these rack extensions and just endless possibilities in the new one so I know I will be updating shortly.

I feel you bro, they have so many dope things to mess with in Reason 8 now that I dont know what can possibly be done to make 9 any better..... unless they made a rack extension that allowed for the use of RTAS plug-ins then I would be absolutely sold! lol.

Back