808 kick db level?

Brownz

Sup guys I'm just wondering what the level should be on an 808 I no people say use your ears e.t.c but iv watched youtube videos and I have 2 kicks I have one that is punchy and then I have the 808 kick that has the bass I usually keep my kick around 6db but I don't what db 808s are usually around?

That's gonna depend on so many varying factors anyone who tries to give you an answer can't know what they're talking about.

All i can say is 808s distort and loose dynamics at high volumes. Keep them low and subtle and they'll knock in the systems designed to handle them.

Really study other music, you'll quickly realize that 808s are never too dominating on well mixed records, they're meant to blend and play well, not drown everything else in the song while losing all their character.

Thanks bro yeah I understand you they distort really quick they have really strong sub bass aswell so sometimes I eq abit of that off becuz its so powerfull

Completely cut anything below 32hz. No system can translate that to anything but noise. That clears up alot of distortion.

You can cut even higher, but you wanna consider guys listening with subs, at least leave everything below 40-50hz for them. If you want to be able to check in depth, you'll need a sub hooked to your system, it makes a world of difference when you can hear it all clear and accurately, even if you have to turn it off after adjusting low end to hear everything else.

Completely cut anything below 32hz. No system can translate that to anything but noise. That clears up alot of distortion.

You can cut even higher, but you wanna consider guys listening with subs, at least leave everything below 40-50hz for them. If you want to be able to check in depth, you'll need a sub hooked to your system, it makes a world of difference when you can hear it all clear and accurately, even if you have to turn it off after adjusting low end to hear everything else.

This is quality advice.

Of course - make sure you are starting off with a good quality 808 kit.

You can struggle for hours with sub par samples - or start off with something that will require less tweaking in the mix.

So i cut out the 32hz and have my low bass on the 808 at 45hz now, made a world of difference bro sounds much less distorted i have my 808 at about 10 db sounds distorted at 6db. and i have the bass at 152hz and boosted it by 10db to give it more punch and then i layer that with a punchy kick and cut out the bass on the punchy kick if you get me

keep em very low, trust your ears. you will learn from time. cut at 30hz

Last edited:
keep em very low, trust your ears. you will learn from time. cut at 30hz

Will do pal ill cut everything at 30 hz from now on thanks for the answers bros and one quick thing should i leave the highs at 20,000 on my fl eq? like is there a certain frequency to cut on the highs like a high frequency thats just excess noise?

Back