440 Hz causes anxiety and confusion?

triple_seven

I was job hunting earlier and came across this ad for a local radio station:

"43.2 The Drop Radio is the first & Only music destination for streaming the latest hits & classics 24/7 in a 432 Hertz, Healthy Listening format. Normal radio is tuned by default to 440Hz, a frequency used in 1939 by German scientists to cause anxiety and confusion. 432Hz is the frequency of water, air, fire, Earth, Sun, Universe...and You! We are leading the music revolution back to safer frequencies which promote a positive mood, clear mind, and a Healthy Listening experience for music-lovers that not only desire to hear their music, but Feel their favorite songs for the very first time!"

I was wondering what this meant exactly? Because everytime i mixdown a project and export it its in that 16 bit 44100 Wav format.

Or is 44100 and 440 hz different? lol im not sure

Short answer:
They are different. 44100 has to do with recording/rendering quality. 440 Hz is a frequency. More specifically, the frequency of one of the A notes on a standard piano/keyboard. 432 tuning is this new fad that involves retuning every note on an instrument down by 8 Hz so that the A note will play at 432 Hz. (440 Hz - 432 Hz = 8 Hz)

Long answer:
https://www.futureproducers.com/for...ion-432-hz-probably-yes-441908/?highlight=432 (<--- Spoiler alert: It's actually not affecting composition)

Have fun.

Last edited:
new age bullsh!t anti German propaganda

440Hz is a tuning reference for the A above middle C that has been in play since the mid 1800's, despite claims like the above

your export sampling rate does not affect the tuning reference you use.

first of all, they differ by a magnitude of 100.

Second of all they are measuring two different things (although they have the same units)

44.1khz in audio is like how in video theres 60 frames per second. 44.1khz means that within every second of audio there are 44100 points of information.

440hz is a note, A4 (the one above middle C) to be exact. frequency = speed of sound/wavelength

the unit hertz is a measure of how many times a cycle repeats within 1 second.

edit: Bandcoach beat me to the punch.

Last edited:
don't like to quibble but video is one of 25fps/29.97fps/30fps, you quote 60fps which is more correctly the number of fields aka half-frames from the time of crt display, where every other line was written in the first field and the all the even lines were written in the second field

and thanks to deezel for quoting the thread I couldn't be bothered looking for

I'm sorry, I don't follow your oblique explanation - could you spell it out for me please?

Tuning music down music down 8 cents sound much better due to its lower frequency of course... You'll always get a warmer sound and it not far from standard. + you stay in tune... Someone with perfect pitch could instantly tell the difference... Sticking to standard is cool and sheeit but a warmer sound is better....

432Hz is the frequency of water, air, fire, Earth, Sun, Universe

lol what? the universe? the whole universe? I don't understand. and how is radio tuned to 440Hz what does that even mean........isnt that what you do when you turn the dial, you tune it into the freqency you want. so 440hz is A on a guitar? in standard tuning? isnt a piano tuned an octave below guitar......how is the radio "tuned" to an A I dont understand.

so turningf the Frequency modulated band from 88.2 up to 108 is tuning up by 20 hz? how does 44o hz figure into the FM dial...and this has nothing to do with Amplitude modulation band of course right?

confused...:hmmm:

Last edited:
Tuning music down music down 8 cents sound much better due to its lower frequency of course... You'll always get a warmer sound and it not far from standard. + you stay in tune... Someone with perfect pitch could instantly tell the difference... Sticking to standard is cool and sheeit but a warmer sound is better....

your explanation lacks any foundation in science or perceptual psychology

dropping pitch even a few cents (something like -32 cents) does not change the spectral series of individual notes dramatically - it does not change the way in which the intensities of those higher frequency bands are perceived and it certainly does not make everything warmer - that is only done by increasing the intensity of specific frequencies in relation to the overall harmonic structure (i.e. boosting in the range 200Hz-600Hz whilst keeping the higher order harmonics at the same intensity or even cutting them slightly)

lol what? the universe? the whole universe? I don't understand. and how is radio tuned to 440Hz what does that even mean........isnt that what you do when you turn the dial, you tune it into the freqency you want. so 440hz is A on a guitar? in standard tuning? isnt a piano tuned an octave below guitar......how is the radio "tuned" to an A I dont understand.

so turningf the Frequency modulated band from 88.2 up to 108 is tuning up by 20 hz? how does 44o hz figure into the FM dial...and this has nothing to do with Amplitude modulation band of course right?

confused...:hmmm:

missed the point they are talking about repitching songs from a tuning standard of A=440Hz (the A above middle C is that frequency) down to A=432Hz - a pitch domain shift without altering the tempo (aka pitch domain convolution)

I suggest that you read the thread that deezel linked to for a more considered rebuttal of the claims made in the quoted phrase by the op

your explanation lacks any foundation in science or perceptual psychology

dropping pitch even a few cents (something like -32 cents) does not change the spectral series of individual notes dramatically - it does not change the way in which the intensities of those higher frequency bands are perceived and it certainly does not make everything warmer - that is only done by increasing the intensity of specific frequencies in relation to the overall harmonic structure (i.e. boosting in the range 200Hz-600Hz whilst keeping the higher order harmonics at the same intensity or even cutting them slightly)

missed the point they are talking about repitching songs from a tuning standard of A=440Hz (the A above middle C is that frequency) down to A=432Hz - a pitch domain shift without altering the tempo (aka pitch domain convolution)

I suggest that you read the thread that deezel linked to for a more considered rebuttal of the claims made in the quoted phrase by the op

I get the repitching stuff. I am confused on FM AM and other stuff that people likely don't know on this forum....I need an electrical engineer forum. Bad question to ask..

no, I can answer those questions for you

FM band is 87.5MHz - 108MHz - so the bandwidth is 20MHz, distance between channels is 200 kHz, though the broadcast bandwidth of the signal is only 15kHz

Am band is from 500kHz - 1600kHz - so bandwidth is 1100kHz, distance between channels is 9 or 10kHz, hence the lower audio quality (bandwidth of lesst han 4kHz so there is no sideband inter/cross-modulation with the next channel

the choice of AM/Fm is neither here nor there this guy is specifically saying there is a radio station out that deliberately repitches all material to A=432Hz, i.e. dropping the pitch -32 cents, and is selling it as part of the back to 432 campaign (the radio station, that is)

the numbers being quoted in the original post are furphies completely, as is the origin of the change in tuning standards

read these specific posts from the link shared by deezel

https://www.futureproducers.com/for...tion-432-hz-probably-yes-441908/#post49621357

https://www.futureproducers.com/for...tion-432-hz-probably-yes-441908/#post49622249

https://www.futureproducers.com/for...tion-432-hz-probably-yes-441908/#post49622911

https://www.futureproducers.com/for...tion-432-hz-probably-yes-441908/#post49623069

https://www.futureproducers.com/for...on-432-hz-probably-yes-441908/2/#post49623628

https://www.futureproducers.com/for...on-432-hz-probably-yes-441908/2/#post49625277

mostly me but also hollandturbine

no, I can answer those questions for you

FM band is 87.5MHz - 108MHz - so the bandwidth is 20MHz, distance between channels is 200 kHz, though the broadcast bandwidth of the signal is only 15kHz
.....oh ok, that makes sense....I had to look up how much a Megahertz is ...
I'm going to look at those links too.
saying there is a radio station out that deliberately repitches all material to A=432Hz
this is what confused me.......because I was like how could they repitch a radio station if the radio station is at 432 Hz....like on the radio dial......like you said the radio dial starts at 87.5 Megahrtz so that station wouldn't even be on the radio dial, it makes more sense now........so you mean they take all the songs that they play on their station....and re-pitch them down 8 Hz...? thats bizarre

Last edited:
exactly: every song on the playlist is either repitched to 432Hz or was originally recorded at 432Hz in the case of some of the more obscure orchestras and ensembles

what that guy said about pitch shifting his master mix, is it all worthless? Because sometimes i mess around during mixing/mastering stages and just add my pitchshift vst to my master bus. Sometimes if i pull the cents down and turn the "sync" mode on (theres transient, sync, smooth, etc. options) it does sound a bit warm but a little strange and more digital

That's because when you mess with the master pitch slider, you're not only changing the pitch of your instruments, you're also affecting the pitch of all your drum sounds and all the other sfx you have in your track as well. Plus if you're using any sf2's or any vsts that are made up of previously recorded samples, those will really @#$% up your mix because you're not just changing the pitch, your basically timestretching those samples. I don't feel writing a whole explanation about why that's bad, but if you want to test it out for yourself just look at a video of somebody making a sampled beat and listen to what happens when he's timestrecting a sample.

FYI, if anybody is interested, in a few hours I'm going to post an experiment in this topic to test out everybody's opinions on this whole 432 Hz thing and examine everybody's reaction.

however, what he said was he changed his master pitch - this may be a simple midi message (very fine pitch bend downwards) or a resampling and repitching - if only the former then your drum samples do not change pitch as they are fixed in the sampler and only allocated to midi notes, if the latter then yes everything gets shifted

however, a shift of pitch does not necessarily equate to time stretching unless that is the default of your daw - pitch shifting is a convolution only in the pitch domain, time stretching is a time domain convolution it is unusual to play both unless you are doing what we call record-player pitch shifting (changing pitch and time by the same ratio)

Back