When A Good Project One Day Sounds So Suddenly Bad To You With No Explaination.....

Sound Sorcerer
I'm a perfectionist and perhaps that has something to do with what I'm about to say, but I have this problem, and it's killing my ability to finish what I start.

Imagine this if you can. You'll be working on a new song for days, and at this moment time it sounds great and you're loving it. Even though it's still a long way 'till done, you can play it back over and over again and never tire from it. Skip forward a few days and you boot up your computer, pop open your daw and bring up that same banger you've been working on. Only now it's like the magic is just gone and what sounded amazing only yesterday now sounds absolutely terrible. You can't explain it, and no amount of tweaking, adjusting or changing anything can seem to make it good any more. It only seems to be a matter of time after I reach this stage in my production that I just get too frustraited with being unable to fix the project, that I eventually give up with it and move onto something else exciting instead. But get this . . . Nobody else seems to notice how bad your project sounds, just you! . . . So chances are, it's completely psychological - In which case, what the hell is wrong with me and how do I stop this from happening!?

Come back to it in a week's time, just clear your head.

^^^This cannot be understated!^^^

Give things room to breath. Get them out of your head and return to them don't work on one track exclusively. Have something else to work on at all times, I'm always working on anywhere from three to five tracks. Sometimes its best to forget a track and go back when you've forgotten it completely, just open it randomly someday and think "oh shit this is good!"

Back