Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What are YOUR best tips?

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by Battlegun View Post
    If you want more organically-sounding instruments (such as piano or drums), adjust the velocity, attack, and release of various notes. Specifically, highlight notes that are on the first beat so you get more of an impact.
    fr, adsr & velocity already does a LOT. add to that making conscious DECISIONS on panning, eq'ing. high-pass/low-pass is included in that. gain staging. understanding basics concepts makes everything easier so don't be afraid to ask/search/fail.

also its cool to browse your files in search of a sound. but having a clear picture of what you want to do also helps. which is why it is nice to pick up an instrument. having my guitar right next to me for the last 5 years has helped. tremendously. i spend a lot more time having fun with it than on my daw, tell you that much.

last but not least, don't wait until everything is perfect to START. get a microphone as early as possible. Don't wait a decade until you get that chronic 2001 mix to start AND FINISH a project from top to bottom.

Music.. music is life. And like everything in life, if you want success, BALANCE is key. the 10k hours to know the technical stuff like the back of your hand but you still need the ideas. also ideas flee, you need to pursue them when they pop up or they'll go to the next man. Mixing is obviously important but better a great song poorly mixed than a horrible song mixed perfectly right? we all heard demos, grimy freestyles.

Quantification is super helpful but you're not a robot, don't act like one. Don't be scared of the metronome, work with him, dont let him work you...

im just spit balling here frankly im also talking to myself. So hope its not too messy.
    Last edited by Barino; 05-20-2018 at 02:00 AM.

Thanks
    nice, i agree on the quantification. a human touch sounds nice and gives life to music.

good points, all noted. thanks
    Soundcloud: Epsilon-144

Thanks
    My favorite tip given to me throughout my journey has been to always find the time to step outside of the box, never limit your sound. Music is endless and at times simplicity is key!
    Terrence "Esquire" Huggins
    http://esquireproductions.beatstars.com

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Epsilon-144 View Post
    nice, i agree on the quantification. a human touch sounds nice and gives life to music.

good points, all noted. thanks
    oh dam, i meant quantize of course but im sure u got it.

Thanks
    ah ya, quantizing, not quantifying lol my bad

i agree, it makes the music sound too robotic, giving it a really strict square kinda feel. For other music that's "loose" and flowing, like jazz or swing, maybe some older hip hop, it needs the human touch. lol sry bout the spelling slip, you're right - quantizing
    Last edited by Epsilon-144; 05-20-2018 at 07:53 PM.
    Soundcloud: Epsilon-144

Thanks
    Layer a lot but then cut out what you don't need in the mix.

Give everything its place in the mix, frequency wise and panning wise too.

Create fast and make a lot of throwaway tracks, try to learn something new with each one.

Revisit older throwaway projects and get the best elements from it into something new.

Start basic and then re-iterate your ideas. Sometimes i find i make a better track by starting with a melody or two, making the beat, then removing the melody and rewriting it and later clearing up and improving the beat.

Once your track is finished in arrangement, bring down all the levels to 0 and mix upwards.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Epsilon-144 View Post
    ah ya, quantizing, not quantifying lol my bad

i agree, it makes the music sound too robotic, giving it a really strict square kinda feel. For other music that's "loose" and flowing, like jazz or swing, maybe some older hip hop, it needs the human touch. lol sry bout the spelling slip, you're right - quantizing
    dont apologize i made the mistake first!

here's an interesting article : Everything you always wanted to know about MPC Swing in Reason

(dont let the "reason" stop you. its valuable information appliable to every daw imo)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by volfym View Post
    Once your track is finished in arrangement, bring down all the levels to 0 and mix upwards.
    !!!!!

Thanks
    As cliche as it sounds, produce music you want to hear and don't try to kiss ass to current trends

Thanks
    bass, kick, snare/clap and vocals mono ... changes the way your music sounds

Thread Information