Share your tips for collabs

Epsilon-144

Musician and Producer
Right now, I'm doing a collab track with ToothandnaiL. I'm just wondering what everybody else does for collaborations.

How do you collab? Do you have useful tips? If you work online, how do you work over the internet?

We're basically sharing .wav files back and forth because we're on different DAWs. If we have the same DAW, we can share the actual project file. Sharing the .wav file seems to work though. We're basically each taking a role. ...like one producer takes drums, and the other takes melodies/bassline/harmonies, for the initial song writing. After we have the song made essentially, we can each go back in to add some polishing edits and stuff. ...but i find it hard to work back and forth on melodies together because of different styles so personally think splitting the work between instruments (drums, melodies - lead/backing/etc) is easier for the initial phase of just getting started on a collab song.

But ya, please feel free to share your tips. I'm curious to know what everyone else does and it can help others too if we share these tips.

Last edited:
The only person that I've collaborated with is...myself. :( So I'm not really sure. Lol
I'd say have one guy working on the drop (whoever is best at it), while the other guy focuses on the other section? I dunno, when you collab with yourself it's pretty one sided. lol

Since you are on different DAWs, just see if both can send a "zipped loop package." That might work better than .wav
What program are you on?

The regular way is just stem. Having the same daw is convenient though.
Reason/Reaper with Live as the permanent backup secondary since I find it's piano roll to be lacking things even reason has.

I'm on fl studio. He's on ableton. ^ and ya we're doing stem .wav files. ...but not like super broken down - only to an extent, stems are more for remixing but i'll send one or two versions so he can pick one he likes more and roll with that for his part doing the melodies.

Last edited:
Me and my friend just send FLP's to each other since we are on the same DAW, but it won't work for you.

ya, that's probably really easy. I heard that there are new online services to collab in real time, with any software, kina like how multiple people can edit a google doc at the same time. ...So as long as one person has the DAW, they can project it online and let others use it at the same time. ...forget what the service is called tho. :/

Last edited:
I always try and spend a day or two not doing anything serious, just experimenting or even just hanging out. I find getting to know the person I am working with extremely important, even before I start making any sort of creative decisions together.

Jarle Thorsen Truth

Jarle Thorsen SiteTalk Community Inc., Jarle Thorsen Kielce, Jarle Thorsen Truth, Jarle Thorsen SiteTalk Community Inc., Jarle Thorsen Truth

Back