How long it takes to become genuine producer?

decent trap

decent trap & more
I have heard that if you want to become professional it takes about 8 years practice. Do you agree or disagree? Why?

some prof in college said any skill takes about 10,000 hours to master. so...maybe that. idk...theres a lot to production and there's a lot to music theory so it can take some time.

Learning music and being a musician/producer is a life long process. If you talk to any master they will tell you that they are still learning and trying to be as good as some of their heroes. As far as being genuine, if one person tells you they like your music you are on the right track and legitimate. Try not to get caught up in likes, play counts etc. Just keep going, and embrace the journey. The best way for success is to just be consistent with your output and never stop.

I disagree to an extent. When I first started, I SUCKED. It has been a little over 8 years since I started and I would now say I am very accomplished. Could this have been achieved sooner? It really depends on a lot of things. A lot of what I learned came from making bad music and realizing what it is I was doing that made it bad. Of course, all of this is subjective. A terrible song to me may be wonderful to someone else. I wouldn't focus too much on that. If you like to produce, just produce! Have fun with it and don't let the opinion of others misguide you.

Produce a lot of drafts, experiment a lot with synths and the daw. Read more books. In time you will get better. Do not focus on finishing tracks unless you have a clear prospect of making a real banger. It will take you years, but at the end you can revisit your old tracks and convert them (maybe) to something real great. Do not rush it. It is supposed to take a bit long - at least 3 years. Get a mentor! Learn the theory, you do not get GOOD by doing noob music over and over. Focus on learning, not on producing final versions.

10K hours to achieve the level as a master at any craft. I've been producing for 10+ years now, well over that hour mark and there is still much more to learn. Thats the thing about music. Its infinite with things to learn. We all want to chase perfection in our sound, but trust and believe, even for me on my end, I have produced records and listen back on them years later and think... Damn, I should have done this one thing differently with the knowledge gained over time.

I don't know about all of these theories, but I know that you have to practice like crazy.
Some become nice (as in very good) within a year, sometimes within months. It depends on your IQ, aptitude, and work ethic.
DJ Premier became nice in producing Hip-Hop beats only within a few months and became better as time had gone on.

Sometimes, in order to see how well of a producer you are, try to get your beat or production mastered so that you can really
see how it sounds in the professional realm of digital, analogue, or hybrid audio environment.

Just be tenacious in dusting yourself off and trying again. Everybody fails in the beginning. The sooner you realize that you suck, the sooner
you'll realize the symptom in order to become the creme de la creme of the best!!!

Last edited:
Depends on how dedicated you are, how talented you are (how fast u can catch things up, learn techniques, develop ur ears for melodies) and stuff like that, I'd say a year all the way to 5 years of CONSTANT producing, meaning u took this thing seriously! :sing:

Back