Thread: How has cheap gear affected your studio?

Thanks

How has cheap gear affected your studio?

Sign in to disable this ad
    It used to cost a fat stack of dough to own a passable studio.

Now you can get into it for a few hundred dollars and if you are patient you can turn out some recordings that are passable to excellent.

This is a double-edged sword, IMO. Those of us who were early adopters have possibly many thousands of dollars in our studio (I have about $250K in recording gear, instruments, and software).

I'm not complaining or ranting. It's always been my goal to encourage original works by talented people. When I started in 1978, I would record anybody's original song for $10.

So... your thoughts?

Thanks
    I was involved in a similar discussion on another forum earlier. There's definitely something fun about going into a studio with a ton of hardware. But, it's really great to have cheaper, more versatile, and smaller equipment. Sometimes vintage junkies will take the old stuff off your hands.

Basically, there's a lot of nostalgia, but it's probably for the best (creatively/accessibly at least) that recording is cheaper now.

Thanks
    Agree. And this isn't a new discussion... I remember it back when I bought my first Tascam 4 track. I guess the difference there is that a narrow track tape format could never approach the quality of contemporary professional tape gear like today's cheap AD/DA approach the pro stuff.

I've been thinking of getting rid of my outboard gear. Nobody in my market wants to pay for a OTB mix. There's a guy here who has a beautiful 24 track 2" studio. Expensive, but that's a tape sound. I record to digital and mix through a 1989 AHB mixer & outboard gear to an Otari half track tape. Not as cool as the 24 but still sounds better than ITB IMO. But...it ends up digitized at the end. :-).

On on one forum a person suggested that the tape deck was functionally the same as a plugin. Well, perhaps, but I've tried the Slate and the BandLab tape plugins and they're not even similar. IK multimedia has a group of tape plugins on sale right now. I might see if there's a demo.

The hardware is neat, though.
    Do what I say, not what I do. Wait, what... did I say THAT?

Thread Information