General Tips for Novices & Producers

hoyt

Audio Magician
Hey Future Producers what's up, I am hoyt and i have been producing music for roughly like 5 to 6 years. I am about 17 years old right now. I produce a lot everyday and have been for awhile so I would like to share some of my experience with you guys :)

Let's get to it

First Tip and Second Most Important
#1 DON'T QUIT

The biggest thing I hear from my friends who start producing is that they quit after about 2 days. Like only one friend I ever met actually kept with it and by 4 months he was making some INSANE stuff.
In the beginning its super tough :( but don't worry, the more time you put into learning the faster it will come to you.

#2 Find Other Producers

This is a Major Key!!! There is a lot to learn when you wanna produce. Finding other producers and artists can help you learn software faster and also learn unique techniques that add to your overall sound. Also it gives the opportunity to collaborate and have fun!

#3 Learn How To Play Melodies on a Midi Keyboard / or on Keyboard

I feel like I learned this one a little late so I put it down for anyone else. Playing melodies on just my laptop keyboard or a akai can be the most helpful thing ever when i'm in a pinch. Most importantly though, it's extremely easy to play melodies this way. Still need to work on finger drumming on my keyboard though :p

#4 Keep it Simple
It can be easy to add to much to a beat at once, I hear this a lot with even some more experienced producers. An easy rule of thumb for me is if the melody is complex then the drums need to be very simple and vice versa. :cool:

#5 Diversify, Make Something Different

Something that helps me never get beat block is simply by just always making a different genre. Remember that a beat can be a dubstep song or some lofi beat etc. This will expand your sound library, your ear, and your ability to combine different elements of genres together. It really helps to listen to weird stuff and try to remake, you can learn the most different techniques to get certain sounds.

#6 There's No Right Way To Do Anything

Technically, there is no right way to do anything. So if you think it sounds right then send it all the way. Just make sure your able to clean and mix certain sounds.

#7 Have Fun!

This is the most important tip I can give. If your not having fun then you may be working too hard or need to diversify a bit. Make sure that you making the best you can when you go into your daw.

Thank you Guys if you read through this whole wall of text lol.

Let me know your thoughts and if you got any questions ask em away!

Great list, personally my favorite trick is to mix in mono.

This obviously removes any issues of mono-compatibility and helps your mix translate onto things like phones. Getting the mix right in mono and then flipping it to stereo is a pretty amazing experience most of the time lol.

Also ,mix produce at a relatively low volume. This prevents everything from starting to sound the same, saves your ears, and usually leads to a louder overall track. Make sure to check your mix at louder volumes but keep it to a minimum.

Great list, personally my favorite trick is to mix in mono.

This obviously removes any issues of mono-compatibility and helps your mix translate onto things like phones. Getting the mix right in mono and then flipping it to stereo is a pretty amazing experience most of the time lol.

Also ,mix produce at a relatively low volume. This prevents everything from starting to sound the same, saves your ears, and usually leads to a louder overall track. Make sure to check your mix at louder volumes but keep it to a minimum.

WOW! Can't believe i forgot to put this one down. Your absolutely right though, mixing in mono was one of the most helpful tips that i ever learned, I definitely think it should go on the list.

Learn to play the piano or any other instrument. You will be able to understand what is actually happening beneath the surface of any song of any genre if you can apply it tactically to an real instrument. You don't have to learn with the goal in mind of performing live, but it will most definitely help in the studio.

Back