Five overrated music concepts - My opinion!

Outss

So I have been thinking recently to do a video discussing what i believe is overrated in terms of creating music and promoting it! As an upcoming artist im speaking just from personal experience but would love to know what you other emcees and producers think is overrated! Let me know guys.

Mastering is about much more than "volume."
You cannot learn "all your mixing on YouTube."
The synch market is as jammed-up as the live show and "get a record deal" market was years ago. It's not that easy to just "get a license."

YES-- I agree you must diversify and wear multiple hats.

Just some responses after 38 years in and around the music business...

GJ

Mastering is about much more than "volume."
You cannot learn "all your mixing on YouTube."
The synch market is as jammed-up as the live show and "get a record deal" market was years ago. It's not that easy to just "get a license."

YES-- I agree you must diversify and wear multiple hats.

Just some responses after 38 years in and around the music business...

GJ

Of course its more than volume! but my point is the mix still means much much more. The master is very subtle changes/tweaks. i lost a part of the footage where i elaborated about it haha. But thankyou for your input!

1. Headroom
2. Mastering
3. Hardware
4. Analog
5. Label

The 5 most overrated concepts

In no way is Headroom overrated. If anything it is underrated. Mastering as well...

Agree with the last three though 100%

In no way is Headroom overrated. If anything it is underrated. Mastering as well...

Agree with the last three though 100%

YouTube
The sound from launching a rocket can be represented losslessly with 32bit audio.

The sound from 24-bit audio can rupture your eardrums. For music production intents and purposes you have practically infinite headroom.
In mastering you are modifying certain bands with 1-2dB on average.

Look, there is 1-bit music as well. How much headroom does 1 bit have?

YouTube
The sound from launching a rocket can be represented losslessly with 32bit audio.

The sound from 24-bit audio can rupture your eardrums. For music production intents and purposes you have practically infinite headroom.
In mastering you are modifying certain bands with 1-2dB on average.

Look, there is 1-bit music as well. How much headroom does 1 bit have?

I'm not sure that you fully understand headroom.

Here is a link in regards to a sound card/audio interface and how headroom affects your recordings going into your DAW (Production):
Q. What exactly is ‘headroom’ and why is it important?

Here is a link that explains headroom in regards to the engineering side of audio:
Headroom - What is it? Why do you need it?

And lastly, here is a link that explains why headroom is vital when moving from mixing to mastering. 1-2db, as you mentioned, does not suffice for a well done master:
How to Create Headroom: 7 Tips That Will Save Your Mixes | LANDR Blog

Hope these help :cheers:

Back