Understanding Compression

epotts06

Engineer
I wrote this article a few weeks ago thought it would be helpful for those who are starting out.

Compressors can be used in tracking and mix down mode. They can also be in either the channel path or monitor path. Compressors help to control the dynamics of a song by making quiet parts louder and making louder parts softer.
comp1.png
Above is a picture of a compressor in pro tools. So set up the first thing you must do is set up the ratio. One of my mentors Tony, who is a NYC guru, told me that if you dont want to actually hear compression but just want to tighten up your tracks set up your ratio to be less than 4:1. Your ratio is one of the key components that give you gain reduction. The next step is to set the threshold. Threshold is really easy to set. Simply turn it all the way up until no gain reduction is being achieved
comp2.png

In this picture you give notice that column that shows gain reduction does not have any metering because the threshold is too high. As well bring the threshold down you will begin to see metering and from that point all you have to do is match your initial ratio to the gain reduction meter by bringing down the threshold. If you want 4 db of gain reduction than simply bring down the threshold until you reached 4 db.
In the pic below you will notice that I turned down my threshold until I began to see metering on my gain reduction column. Simply turn your threshold down until you match your ratio with you gain reduction.
comp3.png

Thats it no secret formula to remember. The other parameters are fairly easy to understand. The attack is how fast should the compressor, compress. For fast transient sounds you want a faster attack for slow transients such as a cello you want a slower attack time. Release is simply how long does the compressor, compress. And the knee just allows you to give a more softer or harder compressor. The lower the number the softer the compression. The last parameter to consider is the output gain. This is also called the make up gain and all it does is give back some volume to the compressed source. When compressing tracks, sounds can become attenuated in volume so output gain is a good way to give pack some volume.

See compressors aren't complicated at all!!

Last edited:
Assuming you want actual feedback- This is very general and basic. No offence. A good guide would go into detail on what people need, people who are trying to understand compression already get this stuff assuming they've done some entry level research. Its the stuff past this point that confuses people when they're trying to learn. You kind of need to go into detail about each parameter and what it does when youre making a guide specifically for people who dont know what to do. Lots of people will read this expecting to understand compression then leave saying "he stopped right as he was getting into the stuff i need to know" .. Basically everyone knows what the parameters do, try telling them HOW to use them. Not what they do, that parts obvious in the name assuming they've ever used an envelope before.

More of an overview of compression than an actual guide. Not trying to be a dick, just giving you actual feedback. When I post stuff, I want the bad feedback over the good feedback. Having someone tell me something is good doesn't teach me anything. Id rather know what people dont like about it . . Because I'm assuming if I'm thinking it, other people are too.

Last edited:
thanks i;m def going to try this method.. because compression is the only thing i dont understand when it comes to mixing...

Back