Basics of Setting Up a Mixer and Audio Recording / Tracking

Xabiton said:
So i gotta ask why not use the stereo outs from the mixer and output those to the computer and monitor from the computer vs monitoring from the mixer? Is that just preference or does one gain something sonically from this?

This way you can control what gets recorded in the DAW... For ex. just 2 of my synth channels by pressing 2 buttons (Bus 1+2 on the channel strips) out of all my synth outputs. As far as monitoring, I get a hardware knob for monitoring instead of plugging my 20/20bas monitors directly to the computer ... plus they are balanced inputs so the mixer's monitoring section makes sense.

hope this helps.

it works flawlessly and its comfortable, but of course there are many, many ways to plug things in your studio

take care!

Great Tutorial, I've just switched back over to hardware after years of Software so all this info brings it all back, thanx

Last edited by a moderator:
Whats up Mano. Just wanna say i appreciate you and everything you are doing for everyone music wise. I dont wanna bother you personally but im in a bit of a bind and i need your help.

In your basics of setting up a mixer tutorial i just needed some minor clarification.

I went an got that same yamaha mixer, and i have my monitors, mpc 1000 and yamaha mm6 keyboard audio all running through the mixer but i cant hear any playback audio from the computer.

When you plugged in the 2track inputs and the Group out inputs, so you could record into the computer and back, what were the other ends connected to? Cus i know you said they go to your computer( and you had a creamscope soundcard) but my computer does not have TRS holes or any sound card. I was going to get a LEXICON OMEGA interface. WIll that work instead?

Send and Return Jacks on the Yamaha MG12/4

hi mano, i picked up the mixer you featured on the tutorial. i plan to use an extenal effects processor. in the manual it says i should use unbalnced jacks for the return, why is that? would it make any difference if i used balanced jacks?

Multi Timbral Set Up?

Hey Mano1, great videos bro... hey could you show me how i could set up multiple vsts in pro tools. I have a Mpc 2500 as my master w a fantom keyboard as a slave synced to my digi oo3 as a slave. I have sound and midi signal flowing thru. but Only when its enable in rec. Im trying to use Sample tank, Battery, Fantom, and the Mpc samples all together. How do I set it up to where i can hear my previously recorded vst so that i can add maybe a battery drum kit on top of it??

Mano

Great Video!

It really gave me some direction. However I don't mean to bother you but I am fairly new to recording and would appreciate some advice on how to make my present setup better and more efficient.
Equiptment
-MX9000 mixing board

- Event 2020BAS

-PC running Sonar 3
-2 delta 1010 sound cards
-1-48 point patch bay(Not used)
-Midi Express XT( serial)

-TDK DA 3826 cd recorder with RCA ,optical and coaxil connects
-MDX1600 Autocom pro XL compressor
-Lexicon MPX100 Dual Channel Reverb Processor
-Behringer Tube Ultragain

Sound Modules
-proteus 2000
-Motif Rack-ES
-Mo-Phatt
-Roland XV-5080

-Korg M1(keyboard)

-MPC2000xl with 8 out card

-Fatar SL880 controller with 2 midi outs

I have delta card coming out from the card to 1-8 inputs on the mx9000 and out from Sub Group outs into the Delta 1010 input.
The second card is not inserted into the chain yet.

Sound Modules going into the mx9000 stereo into input 9-19

SL880 going out midi into port 1 of the Express XT

Events 2020 coming out of the Mx9000 cntrl Room outs

Sound Modules are connected (2-5 in to out out to in) of the MidiExpress XT.

Korg M1 and MPC2000xl not connected yet

Heres is what I would like to do:

Incorporate my 2nd delta card into recording chain

I would like to record live bands one day

I would like to put my mpc200xl in the production chain. Just no sure of the correct place its should be set it up in the chain syncing it as master or slave. Right now I play drum parts using the SL 880

I would like to also incorperate my TDK DA3826 into the recording chain as well as my outboard processors, -MDX1600 Autocom pro XL compressor,
-Lexicon MPX100 Dual Channel Processor
-Behringer Tube Ultragain

I will accept any and all suggestions as I am looking for the best and most proficient way of working this setup.

Thank you

hypoxia said:
hi mano, i picked up the mixer you featured on the tutorial. i plan to use an extenal effects processor. in the manual it says i should use unbalnced jacks for the return, why is that? would it make any difference if i used balanced jacks?

Hi there thanks for being on FP!

OK balanced wires/connections cancel all the "HUMM" you hear if you crank up the volume (ground noise) due to interferences... and there are other quality advantages.

read more about it on Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balanced_audio

BTW you will use the SEND and RETURN ports on the mixer, and use the AUX 1,2,3,4 knobs on the mixer to then "wet" the channels you want to add effects to.

good luck!

:hello:

I got a problem mano. alright I got a mpc2000xl,motif es 6 and projectmix i/o all sync to Protools. The only problem is the tempo speeds up when i try to record in protools. 76 bpm on all devices also protools.What's the problem? anybody help please

I've got a question.. this are the specs of the audio interface on novation's xiosynth i am considering to buy;

Audio Interfacing
Inputs: 1 XLR (with phantom power)
1 TS Jack
Outputs: 2 TS Jack (L/R)
1 stereo Headphones Jack

Can I hook up my mixer (soundcraft compact 4) via the 1 TS Jack Input or do i need 2 inputs?

have you guys ever heard of youtube? i finnaly find a video after weeks of searching on what a stupid mixer actually does any the video doesn't work.

jakerules13 said:
have you guys ever heard of youtube? i finnaly find a video after weeks of searching on what a stupid mixer actually does any the video doesn't work.

it should work. it is just flash. it is also in nice quality, hence not using Youtube. This is FP, we have a site, we can host Flash videos directly :)

I like the MPC because of the control that it gives you of the sounds you trigger (when they are in the machine)

I like Reason because of all the instruments

So I thought the best way to combine the two would be to MIDI up Reason to the MPC.

So I watched your tutorial about how to MIDI and then I watched the tutorial about setting up the mixer and then tracking the beat back into your DAW (mine being Reason)

Is it better to sequence the entire thing on the MPC byt playing instruments into the MPC from Reason, or is it better to track the drums and samples into Reason and then sequence in Reason (playing the instruments that I want to add in Reason)?

Part of the Reason I ask is that when I played some instruments into the MPC from Reason through the MIDI connection, sometimes it dropped out or didn't play fully.

i know this is a very, very, basic question but..you've got alot of damn cables...how would i go about purchasing this redundant set of cables? are they xlr?

First of all GREAT video!!!! And thank you because i was wondering exactly if and how i could use a mixer to connect some hardwares to my computer(i know or knew nothing about mixers). In the video didnt you say that cost you around 140? When i went to that website it was over 200.

^ He posted that video almost 2 years ago. The economy was in better shape and costs were lower. Also, you gotta learn to shop around and be patient.

Back