Reason Film Scoring Tutorial Series

hennoxlane

Hi guys,

I just wanted to let you know that after doing some pretty basic Reason tutorials, I wanted to share some things I've learned over the last couple of years, regarding writing a filmscore (or just good ways to use symphonic instruments, which could apply to any genre - which is why I think it does fit here as well) using Propellerheads Reason. There is so much potential in even the standard orchestra refill, if you know how to use it. Which is why I want to get some techniques out there with this new series.

Just to get an idea of how these tips can help your tracks, have a listen to a recent theme I did entirely within Reason 6, at my soundcloud:

Facing The End by HennoxLane on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

Check it out, and please leave some notes on how I can improve the series; if there's anything you want to know about, let me know in the comments!

Episode 1 (trombones) Reason Film Scoring Ep. 1 - Trombones - YouTube
Episode 2 (simulating bow movements) Reason Film Scoring Ep. 2 - Simulating Bow Movements - YouTube
Episode 3 ... soon!

Cheers!

I'm loving the vids bro...to many FL,Logic, Cubase and sonar videos up I'm a reason user myself and the more more videos I can learn from the better.. keep it up. Can't wait to upgrade to 6, when I finally move back down south I plan to get it. Are you using any Rack Extensions yet?

I'm loving the vids bro...to many FL,Logic, Cubase and sonar videos up I'm a reason user myself and the more more videos I can learn from the better.. keep it up. Can't wait to upgrade to 6, when I finally move back down south I plan to get it. Are you using any Rack Extensions yet?

no RE's yet, but the beta is out and I think I'll apply for testing, I'll let you know how that turns out ;)

Bienvenidos a ABA. - Oropesa del Mar. Marina d'Or .
Somos una empresa especializada en el alquiler, compra y venta de apartamentos en Marina d'Or, Oropesa del Mar ,Castellón. Alquilamos exclusivamente apartamentos dentro del complejo Marina d'Or. En los diferentes apartados que le presentamos podrán encontrar lo mejor de nuestra ciudad de vacaciones.

Long time no updating this post.. Mostly just 'cuz I don't want to flood the forum .

Anyways, as I've upgraded my camera (did anyone say 1080p fullHD?) I thought it was a good time to let you all know that episode 8 is up!

I talk a little bit about the use of synths in a score in this one. As a bonus; I took the time to look into the synth that's used in the Dr. Who intro theme (yeah, that theremin thingy). Turns out it's really simple and I'll show you how to do it .

Well, episode below! Cheers ^^

Last edited:
what a beautiful series. I have watched only the first video, but I will for sure be checking out the rest. Thank you for the gems and nuggets. And your score sounds great.

Really great stuff, thanks a lot. Im working on an orchestral track myself at the moment, im still pretty much a beginner but i enjoy learning from tutorials and such.

One of the best videos on this site!! cant wait to see more...

Back