My First Beat: A George Benson Sample - Feedback Needed

Im really diggin this. Its hard to believe this is your first beat. I'll leave it up to some one else to give some constructive criticism.

Good sampling, for sure!! Good work!! The only suggestions I'd make (in my opinion) would be to add more to the song (like some other instruments or even a bassline). What DAW are you using?

Good sampling, for sure!! Good work!! The only suggestions I'd make (in my opinion) would be to add more to the song (like some other instruments or even a bassline). What DAW are you using?

Please excuse my ignorance, but what's a DAW?

Adding more to the song has been a popular suggestion. The whole beat was made from putting together different tutorials on YouTube, I am very new to beatmaking so there is a lot of things I still need to learn. That's why the beat may sound basic.

I looked at a bassline tutorial but I was unable to make something that went with the beat, if that makes sense. I wasn't too sure what channel makes the best bass.

Appreciate the feedback.

Sorry about the acronym usage there haha! DAW = Digital Audio Workstation. I'm assuming since youre a beginner, that you're using some kinda computer software...like Reason/FL/Ableton?? I'm a beginner too....been messing around here and there for about a year and a half with FL8. I also have reason, but was waiting till I got FL down before I messed with Reason.

But anyways, back to your track. One common trick with creating a bassline is just to use the original sample and cut the high ends from it using a filter. And maybe add a little compression and some reverb. Try that and see how it sounds....I bet it will sound that much better!! Nonetheless, good ear on this track man with the sample...I like it alot.

-Niv

I could always use some critiquing on my tracks as well...check it out sometime....

http://nivrock.bandcamp.com/

http://lakefrontfactor.bandcamp.com/

http://www.soundclick.com/members/default.cfm?member=Nivrock

Yeah, I'm using FL Studio 8. Like I said, I've been learning it, on and off, for about two weeks.

I've got an M-Audio Trigger Finger as well but for this beat I didn't use it.

I know someone who uses Reason to make his Drum & Bass tracks but I decided FL was the best place to start.

When you say use the original sample and cut the high ends from it, do you mean just the notes I have sampled from the original track?

I'm guessing the compressor, filters and reverb come under the channels section?

The tutorials I have seen about making a bassline are telling me to make something totally new in a piano roll, but it just sounds more like a deep piano key than bass.

wow, 2 weeks? not bad at all buddy!! haha. I was going to suggest switching over to Reason....but if your progress is already this good in FL, you might as well stick with it. In my opinion, FL is more user-friendly compared to Reason...but I also think that Reason is also more powerful once you know how to use it inside/out. But that's another different world....

Ok, so going back to taking the high ends out in your sample.....
What I meant was that your sample contains high/mid/low frequencies in it (depending on the sample youre using). All I was saying was to apply your sample to a filter so you can display only the low ends of that, which would give you a bassy type sound. So for example, in the very beginning of your youtube track (right before the flute starts to play), you can probably take that...apply a filter to it....and make a sub-bass sound out of it.

If you drag your sample into the Step Sequencer, the Channel Settings for your sample should pop up in its own window. In there, look for the INS tab and then look down at the filter. Look at the drop down menu....I'd start with SVF LPx2, and play with the cut off and resonance knobs and test it out on the piano roll at the bottom...you'll eventually hear what i'm talkin about.

Or you can always check out NFXbeats at his website (warbeats.com) or look him up on youtube....he's got a plethora of tutorials for FL users. I literally spent my first 12 months just going over his tutorials just to learn. Here's a link to his Filter/EQ vid...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1oS8QP4NBU

Hope this helps!!

-Niv

The beat is dry and needs transitions. What I mean by transitions is change it up a little. Its sounds good for the first 20 seconds but after that it gets boring and the average listener will cut it off.
Not bad for 2 weeks in the game though. Keep working fam.

Back