Maschine making my head hurt. What do you know about it

bulgarianprince

Ok, it took me like 8 months of saving to get Maschine. I was crazy excited to get this and all of the different ways it can be integrated with my software and hardware set up. I see huge potential with the Maschine and the crazy stuff I'll be doing with it...in the future. Not yet though, this is why.

I have some real issues with the steep learning curve, how it kills my computer and or laptop to run it and why my vsti are not showing after several re-installs. I bought mine used from the GC and tonight I think that I found out why I am having a hard time finding Kontact elements. I am not sure, but it looks like I did not get two discs and the Guitar Center says they gave me everything they had with it.
So, what are the discs that come with the unit? I only have an install disc and was assuming that the others were downloaded from the updates or drivers selection on NI? I am registered and the legal owner so it's not an access thing. I'll ask about the other concerns I have on another post, right now I just want to know what the hell to do if I am missing the discs? Kontact looks cool as shit.

I wish it was that easy

Because the Maschine was an open box or demo? They said they would only give me the "trade in " value loosing me $175.00/ I remember the day when the guitar center would actually help out a musician not treat us like customers on a used car lot..Its gotten bad the last few times I have gone in, I really feel they have sub-par employees that because they work on commission and only make $8.00 an hour, they really make you feel uncomfortable being in there with all of the pressure and glad handing. So, they are no help at all. Like I said, they are the new low lifes in retail, like a used car salesman.
With that said, I actually sent a chat a few days ago to Native Inst, and have not heard back from them yet, the customer service always takes a few days to get back to you. Im too freaking impatient for that. Besides I am a married man that only has these small windows of opportunity to make any music.

Im sure no one here is in the same boat, lol

Last edited:
All the stuff that comes on the discs can be downloaded from N.I once you are registered. Your best bet would be to call N.I's customer service to have them square you out. On a side note you have to make sure Maschine sees all the folders that contain AU or VST plug ins this can be done by going to preferences then hitting the plugins tab then the locations tab. From here you can browse and add any locations we're your VST files are stored.

^guitar center is ****ing awful, i payed 80 dollars for a 3 year warranty on a microkorg which appears to be bogus. i've called 10+ times about my warranty and they say they'll send a shipping label and never do it. i've tried multiple e-mail adresses and home addresses and they won't send my shipping label anywhere. the place is bullshit and i highly recommend avoiding it ESPECIALLY the extended warranties they charge extra for.

They have straight wannabees working up at Guitar Center with rich parents and they're lazy trust me I've known the losers to work up there...

I've never had a problem at guitar center (i must be lucky) most of the cats at my GC are all in the industry.

Engineers
Composers
session players
etc

using Gc for for discounts

I'm not sure what to tell you to be honest. Speak with upper management

Learning curve.... Buy some tutorials
*Fortunately there are a ton of tutorials out there. You just have to find one that makes the most sense to you.

not recognizing VST's... Set your plugin path. Also make sure it's not a 32-bit vs 64-bit thing. I doubt Maschine has a built in Bit-Bridge.

Komp Elements...... Contact NI. They will be able to resolve that. With it being a demo unit who knows what happened to the disc and serial for Komp Elements.

Guitar Center... Not going to rant on them. A lot of retailers don't like accepting returns with software involved. Resolving registration issues can get messy.

Last edited:
The only thing that comes with it is the install cd... In about a week you will get an email from NI giving you the serial code for the packs and direct you to the download thru a link on the email. And as far as it goes just play with it , and really concentrate and take time to learn fam.

OK dude here's how it goes. Mac has a standard location for each plugin type. If you're using a PC, this can be a problem for plugin recognition as stated here: Installing VSTs - Native Instruments - ProducerBay So be sure to know where each of your plugins are being installed.

I assume you have never used an MPC. If not, don't panic, you can still learn Maschine. Below is a general sequence of digging in.

Precaution: To learn Maschine efficiently, do not get caught up in the plugins yet. Just load presets from the browser, but do not open the plugin editors yet until you have fully accomplished and comprehended the following stages:

Stage 1: Loading a factory session and exploring what has been done. Mute and solo tracks, change patterns and such.

Stage 2: Learn how to arrange different patterns into scenes. Scenes can be arranged as Verse, Hook, Bridge, etc. Patterns are just the arrangement of the scene.

Stage 3: After learning the interface, explore how to achieve that basic navigation with the hardware screen, and compare the two.

Stage 4: Start using Maschine without looking at the computer screen. At that point, you will be treating it like an MPC.

Patience is the key, don't get your blood pressure spiking.

Yea. I'll pause and take a moment to hate on guitar center. Gave me 60 damn
dollars for a guitar cabinet when I really needed the cash. BS!

But on topic....

Maschine looks cool I guess, but I don't get what it can do that Ableton Live 8 and any little midi keyboard/pads can't. Get something with a couple knobs for live performances..and there ya go.

Can maschine work on it own without the software? If not then I don't see the point in having this complicated computer dependent system outside of the computer.....but I speak in ignorance of the device. All just my opinion of course.

I imagine being able to control a computer with workflow of an mpc could be pretty cool though. Are you familiar at with how an mpc works? If not it is def a different way of thinking about music production in a sense....

Just stick with whatever you stick with=]

Last edited:
Maschine will not work without software. It's the software is the engine, Maschine hardware is the controller. However it can be used as a standard midi controller.

Nothing topping Ableton until BITWIG delivers as promised.

Last edited:
Yea. I'll pause and take a moment to hate on guitar center. Gave me 60 damn
dollars for a guitar cabinet when I really needed the cash. BS!

Of course why would they give you more? They are trying to make money themselves. They can't sell it new they have to sell it at a used price and profit from it.

No diff than a pawnshop

next time EBAY IT

i also have maschine, i i have mikro version. if you ask me maschine is pretty straight forward, i learned it all in a bout a day or so. just look up videos online. as for the komplete elements, i also lost my disc with the code on it. i called NI and they sent me a link to my email, took me 5 minutes. i was EXTREMELLY happy with there customer service. i suggest you do the same, theres no point to return it, if its what you want.

---------- Post added at 05:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:48 AM ----------

Its been a year that i have maschine and i dont think its that great.On the other hand i have friend that swear by it

i dont think its that great either. i only use it for the drum sounds. i thought about trading the controller countless times

Back