Making sounds/synths wider, fatter, bigger?

Memphis12

I have a string of questions that's been piling up on me that I'm going to post today. Here's the first...I was hoping I could get some tips on how to make my synths sound bigger, wider, and fatter? Similar to synths like Rihanna - Only girl (hook), Rihanna - S&M, Wiz- Black & Yellow (Bridge) Kelly - Motivation- (Main melody) . My melodies are on par, but not the "bigness" of it. Any help/tips/tricks/techniques?

Reverb a bit, I use more than 1 sometimes. I also use Reason 5. Then use a tool like stereo imaging to widen it out. Eq the sound that you want. Then layer it with another synth similar.
Split the signal and eq them differently. (In Reason 5 you can do this, tutorial here-->Chaîne de TrillPhenom - YouTube
Say you split it 4 ways pan 1 25%left, 2 25%right, 3 95% left and 4 95% right. Turn down accordingly.
But the maing thing is LAYERING.
Hope this helps...

Good looks. I really like the stereo width thing. I just hope I don't abuse it now. I didn't get to the real advanced stuff yet, but Ima try to figure it out soon. Thanks, and nice tutorial vids btw.

Yea Stereo imaging is Dope. haha, only you can decid if you abuse it. its YOUR song.lol Thanks, ill be posting them consitently..

@macmixing no prob!

yeh, i have Ableton Live. Doing stereo in it was easy when I finally found out it was pan. Back then I was a total noob. Now Im just kinda a noob.

take 2 oscillators with the same waveform, detune one slightly.

EQ correctly. If you have no space in your mix for your sounds, its gunna sound muddy. Your problem may be lack of EQ in other places

I usually use a little bit of reverb mostly a big room-hall or something, stereo widener is your best buddy when you need something more just experiment with the settings also a tube warmer or compressor will fit nice like Vintage Warmer 2 some waves plug ins also another way is using multioscillator synths and experiment with the tune filters waveforms.Feel free to ask anything else.

Reverb+Delay+Stereo Widener+Layering...Also try targeting the meat of your synth and EQ those frequencies appropriately

Hey, there's a plugin that's specifically made for this by Dada Life. It's called Sausage Fattener and I've used it on a few of my tracks. Sometimes it can get a bit too much so don't over use it.

EQ correctly. If you have no space in your mix for your sounds, its gunna sound muddy. Your problem may be lack of EQ in other places

Real good point. When trying to fatten something up, make sure that you give it room to get fatter!

I would say that, whatever effects you use, you try to make sure that it affects a specfic region of the signal–highs, mids, lows, whatever. That is how you get something to be fat AND punchy.

Back