JAYBEATZ basic Tutorial about drums, dynamic and wide sound! 101

I recently became a member here cuz i needed some feedback on my beats, i posted my feedback thread and started to give other ppl some feedback to get some on my beats.

After 10+ threads with other ppls music i noticed that most em them do the same misstakes.
Their beats are FLAT, in that point there are no pressure,no dynamic in the drums
the "melodies" are thin, with no fill-outs.

Let me break it down to you!

imagine a EQ, with high pitch sounds at the left and and low ones at the right, and in the middle ... yea you get it.
in many beats ive been listen to here all instruments/drums/etc are to the left side of the eq = its sounds like your playing the music through a old radio

to avoid this you have to have to spread the sounds all over the EQ to make it sound wide and nice

basic rules
try to use at least 2 diffrent kicks and mix them together, one low and one more highish
dont pick a hihat thats in the same register as the snare/clap
try to pick 2-3 diffrent snares and claps and put them together for that wide cool sound
use drums that actually fits the gener youre creating

quantize rules
adjust the volume on your drums, make some lower and some higher for that alive-feeling
try to put some drums off-sync, just slightly
play with the swinger-thing
be creative

quality drums

dont use cheap quality drums (in this case you cant polish a turd)
try to find wav-drums instead of that crappy 808 snare/clap/subkick with slightly reverb on

chapter 2

Creation of wide beats
Lets see, dont use just 1 instrument in your "lead-melody"
if you come up with something you really like, try to fill out with other instruments thats in another part of the EQ
otherwise your super-trap-lead will sound mostly thin and cheap, but enough is enough, learn when to stop
A good advice is to play it in other octaves, or just parts from the melody, maybe create stabs with strings at a chord change?
use your fantasy and experiment.
Ive noticed many producers here picks a synthsound, a arp+strings+brass-in-one kind of thing, and just hit some chords
and the result is totaly chaos.
learn to play "doublehanded" chords, not just triads in c major
if you can create a chord with 8 notes it will sound 8 times as powerfull and wide, your petty c major will drown
play around with the keyboard and learn what notes you can fill out with.

BASS!
also here you should experiment with diffrent kinds, and mix them together
low sub with brass? try diffrent things, not just low sub together with 808 subkick
make the bass work with the kickdrum, tip is to work with the EQ
the bass makes you feel the beat!

Conclucion
this is just basic things to put in mind, im not perfect, far from, but if you learned something from this ill be happy
im still learning alot, and i know how hard is to get better if you dont change your way of work

Thats all for today, next time ill write some basics about mixing!

bonus tracks
one of my beats that i like the sound in
even tho youtube cutted the quality alot

Last edited:
Back