How to use as many plug-ins as you like...

Noyzi

Who Want To Battle Me?
***I thought you guys could use this info if you don't have it already***

Every track you add to your recording, and every plug-in you use, consumes a little more of your computer's processing power. Unless you are a really light user with low ambitions for your project, you will often find that you are running up against the limit of what your computer can do. It just can't calculate fast enough.
Some plug-ins are relatively 'cheap' to run, in the sense that they don't consume much processing power.
Other plug-ins are 'expensive', either because they work very hard or because they have been poorly designed in that respect.
It's difficult to make a mix using nothing but cheap plug-ins though, particularly if you want great reverb.
So what can you do?
Well, you could buy a faster computer. A faster computer is always a better computer, although clearly this is going to be a costly option.
You could increase the buffer size. That's a piece of memory that is held in reserve for the computer to do its calculations. But you might still be recording new tracks, and increasing the buffer size increases the latency, or delay, between input and output. Or you might have increased the buffer size all the way already.
There is one solution however that costs nothing and is almost limitless in scope, and that is to 'freeze' tracks that have plug-ins inserted.
This means that the track is re-recorded, or bounced, back to disk, with all its plug-in effects applied. So the result is a track that sounds like you want to hear it, but it doesn't need plug-ins because the effects have been embedded into the audio.
One drawback of this is that once you have frozen a track, you can't make any adjustments to the plug-ins other than by going back and unfreezing it. Even so, this is a price worth paying to get the degree of flexibility you need.
Some DAW software makes freezing and unfreezing very easy. This is to be commended; all DAWs should be this way.
However some DAW software are surprisingly lacking a freeze feature. All is not lost however as you can do it another way...
1. Route the output of the track to be frozen to an unused bus.
2. Make a new track and set its input to the same bus. Set it to record-ready.
3. Hit record and play the track through.
Simple! You now have your frozen track. You can deactivate the first track, but it can remain in the session if you need to go back to it...

In summary, when computers are ten times more powerful than they are now, freezing won't be necessary and we will be glad of that, Until then however, freezing is an important technique for unleashing virtually all the power you can handle.

written by the good people @ recordproducer(dot)com

Thanks man, I've been looking for something like this. I haven't encountered the need for it yet, but I know when I start using a lot of waves plugins it's gonna come in handy. Thanks fam,

I think most DAW's have the freeze option now. That said, I often find that recording to audio and then deleting the original track forces me to commit and move on, instead of endless hours of tweaking.

I did this all the time in my 1.24Ghz days.. Now I got a 3Ghz quad, I gotta work hard to push it to its limits.

Also a good interface helps, with solid drivers. Even my 2496 at £50 is solid as a rock.

^must be nice. I got a 1.8 duo core and it takes damn near ten minutes to open up omnisphere with 4GB of RAM.

That's about 4 cigarettes smoked, pacing back and forth and cursing my cheap ass computer instead of creating. The s*** is literally killin' me.

I'm upgrading as soon as I can find an i7 setup that works for what I'm willing to pay for it.

^must be nice. I got a 1.8 duo core and it takes damn near ten minutes to open up omnisphere with 4GB of RAM.

That's about 4 cigarettes smoked, pacing back and forth and cursing my cheap ass computer instead of creating. The s*** is literally killin' me.

I'm upgrading as soon as I can find an i7 setup that works for what I'm willing to pay for it.

Yeah Its nice, I'm thing about upgrading to 8GB RAM but I think it would be a bit overkill.

I'd expect the i7 prices to come down a bit soon enough, there is always i5 to. Think AMD is coming out with a 5 or 6 core soon to, might be a cheaper alternative.

^yea, I had two 500mhz CPU's before the one I got now and it was middle of the pack then.
I'd rather get the i7 knowing I can stretch it out for 4 or 5 years instead of being rendered obselete by the next CPU beast VST.

I would get the 8 if you can find it on the cheap. I got the 4 I have now over two years ago for $85 when most were going for 150+. You gotta look around.

Back