Here to help

Hi, I've been making music using Ableton for a while. I started with dubstep and I'm now trying to make up some more dancy songs. In alot of today's songs I can hear that sound that I think makes bass drops crazy. There is an exemple in Tiesto's song "Walls"

At the drop, around 1:46, you can hear that bassy kind of sound in the background, which makes this really good. I don't know if you understand it well but it's a lower frequency kind of repeated sound. Can't post link so this might be confusing but I hope you get it or try to find it.

I would like to know, first of all, what sound that is or if it has a specific name, and if you guys know how to create it, it would be awesome.

Please forgive me if this isn't very clear, ask me anything if you don't understand my question!
(English isn't my first language, so you might have some trouble because of that too)

how do i bounce my melodies down too free up MB space?

and also...

how can i get my vsts to allow me to use the glide in the piano roll?

if you by chance dont understand what im referring to or need clarity on either question just lemme know. thanks

What tips can you give on getting to professional quality kicks with FL Studio. Do you just layer and mix or do you layer mix and add an 808 to the sound.

I'm pretty sure what your refering is just a normal old bass/808 that theyve increased the attack where its almost as the bass fades in, or you could just have the bass line going and use something like Gross Beat to chop the bass up. Its also layered pads right there doing the same thing.

---------- Post added at 10:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:47 PM ----------

I'm not sure what you mean by bounce your melodies down to free up MB space, The second question I believe you need to just turn the polyphony up, this means/allows you to play multiple notes simultaneously, I'm guessing you want to be able to slide your notes so you definitely need to turn polyphony to at least 10. Idk what vst exactly your talking about so i cant tell you exactly what to do.

---------- Post added at 11:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:51 PM ----------

Can definitely help you out here. Start with a good strong punchy kick that also has some thump, depending on what sound your going for of course this could vary. So then you need to get some Strong plugins like Waves/Izotope/T-racks Bring out a dope compressor. The compressor is going to make your kick pop the most. I can't exactly explain how to work a compressor, We'de need audio for me to really help you understand, but basically your gonna turn your threshold all the way down then slowly bring it up and keep tweaking til you start hearing some of the bass kick in, then turn your attack down and do the same thing til it sounds Big and Strong, Then turn your gain up 5-7 db ratio whatever you please and the release is all on how long you want the kick to stay compressed. faster release makes the kick punchier n visa versa. Then I'de use something like Rbass from Waves, This kinda tunes the kick and if its not really coming through strong you can choose freq to boost. After u compress n add your eq i would cut the bass of your kick off completely atleast by 45. Your kick should be mono & it should sit at around -5db to -3db . If you have Waves from the Mercury package i recommend the SSL Compressor.

Back