FLStudio Users: Sync An Acapella To Your Beat (An extremely fast + easy way)

digiskunk

I've seen some YouTube tutorials on how to make mash-ups/sync different tempo acapella (vocal tracks) to another tempo beat, but they're usually long + boring videos. If you're using FLStudio, I have a really quick and easy technique that will probably work for you.

Seriously,this only takes around 5 minutes. If you want to get a bit more advance and do some cutting/editing, then it will take longer. We're just covering the basics of an extremely easy mash-up here.

Get the instrumental track you want to sync your acapella to. Load it up in FLStudio as an Audio Clip.
02. Determine the BPM of your instrumental track and use that as your tempo in FLStudio. If you don't already know the BPM/tempo of your instrumental, try using Google searches; an example of a decent search could be: "dr. dre" "the next episode" "bpm", or "dr. dre" "the next episode" bpm dj to help narrow it down to online dj & remixing resources. Otherwise, search Google for "bpm counter" and use that to tap along to keep rhythm (1-2-3-4) while listening to the track.
03. Load up your acapella/vocal track as an audio file. Open your acapella's channel settings and go to the "Time stretching" region located in the middle (it's in the SMP tab). Change the option from "Resample" to "Pro default."
04. Determine the acapella's original track tempo. You can use the same methods listed in #2 for this. Once you figure it out, open the acapella's channel settings, right click the wavelength at the bottom, and go to "Edit." It should open Edison automatically with your acapella's audio clip. Right click the waveform in Edison, go to "Format > Edit properties" and in the "Tempo" section located in the middle of the pop-up menu, enter in the acapella's original track bpm.
05. Now, just go to your project's playlist. Put both the instrumental clip and the acapella clip in the audio clip section. That was easy, huh?
06. You're almost done... All you have to do now is sync it. So now, while still viewing the audio clip's in the playlist, go to your acapella and in the top left of the audio clip, there's a little gadget button. Click that and select "Fit to tempo." It should now start stretching your acapella to fit your instrumental's tempo, which should also be the tempo in your FLStudio project.
07. Now, try to line it up appropriately. Listen to the original if you have to determine when the vocals first come in. Zoom in and move the acapella around. If you seemingly still can't get it to fit, click the magnet button (it's where the 'paint' and 'cut' tools are - it's the 2nd button) and select "1/2 step" or "1/4 step." This will help you move it around much more freely.
08. Now... You're done! You've just created a mash-up. Hopefully. In all likelihood. Click play and see what happens. Make any edits if you want to (or need to) by doing some cutting of the audio clip.

8 simple steps for a simple acapella mash-up. 75-80% of the time that I use this method, it works. The only time it doesn't work is when the acapella's original track follows a different drum rhythm (in which case your mash-up may just sound bland or slightly awkward), the acapella's original track structure doesn't match yours (for example the acapella's original has a bridge before the chorus but your track doesn't), or when you get the tempos wrong.

Now go have fun and post some of your cool new mash-ups.

I just put the acapella in the play list double click put it to pro default and turn the time knob till it fits. Then I just nudge it a little to line up the snare.

I just put the acapella in the play list double click put it to pro default and turn the time knob till it fits. Then I just nudge it a little to line up the snare.

This worked for you? Can't it take awhile to figure out how much to stretch it though? Seems like quite the daunting task..

actually not really just stretch it to the length of your verse and play to ear. You may have to adjust the pitch a bit, but i feel that is the fastest way. As long as you don't put a 16 bar verse in a 8 bar instrumental your good. 8 to 8 is also good, but to be more exact I use the sound .wav files to line up the snare to the verse.

Back