Thread: Erick Sermon

Thanks

Erick Sermon

Sign in to disable this ad
    Okay, I've been doing the beat-making thing for a while. I've gone the FL Studio route for a long time, but recently started working with Reason and things are changing for the better...I have a question though, please don't hate..But does anyone have some tips on how to get that real dirty mid-90's sound Erick Sermon (and Redman) had in albums like Dare Iz A Darkside, The Most Beautifullest Thing In This World, Business Never Personal and Erick's first few solo joints? Now...It's not so much I want to bite the style, but this style is what defines why I like hip-hop, and if you ask me, it seems like it's extinct from both practice and interest; except mine, even if it's just for my own listening, I want to try and take a stab at it. Anyone have tips on what the E-double did to get that sound?

For example, I'll read some production credits and see a lot of the same samples through his tracks. A lot of his samples seem to be for drums (ie. Atomic Dog by George Clinton seems like his favorite joint to sample drums from). In theory I know how he gets down with drums, since he's not alone with that style, but his are usually a bit dirtier. The hard basslines we're all him, no samples. So basically what I'm asking is does anyone have an idea how he cut most of those samples to sound such a way/layered them/mixed them in such a way that you hardly recognize a thing?
    Last edited by fateL; 07-30-2008 at 04:51 PM.

Thanks
    Well the first thing you need 2 do is use the rex 4 the samples you want to be grimmey/dirty after that its just a matter of tweaking the filters located on the dr rex

Note:you will need recycle to convert wav. to rex2 because the dr rex will not read wav,aif,mp3 or aac files.
    Hope that helps..

WattSMusiC-

Thanks
    Also gonna want to use the filters to add that "analogy" grit.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SplitFire
    Well the first thing you need 2 do is use the rex 4 the samples you want to be grimmey/dirty after that its just a matter of tweaking the filters located on the dr rex

Note:you will need recycle to convert wav. to rex2 because the dr rex will not read wav,aif,mp3 or aac files.
    Hope that helps..

WattSMusiC-
    thanks for the tips!

Quote Originally Posted by deRaNged 4 Phuk'dup
    Also gonna want to use the filters to add that "analogy" grit.
    could you explain what you mean by "analogy" grit? thanks.

Thanks
    Play with the "Filter" knob in Reason on whatever module you're using. You'll get the idea.

Thanks
    throw your drums in a compressor, i never use reason, mainly fl, but if you want gritty drums go that route, or maybe even find a filter where you can add some noise in to your mix and try and reverb it a little bit
    I'd rather travel into the storm and say I lived it
    Then be the man stuck on shore that barely existed - AE

www.myspace.com/alterego508

Thread Information