Is a drum pad necessary?!?!

I.L.E.ME.N8

I have a Midi keyboard, I was thinking about buying the Korg Padkontrol but I was wondering if its necessary buying a drum pad or I just use my midi keyboard keys as pads? And what are the benefit of using a drum pad? Sorry for my English I'm in Japan

Ps. I'm into sampling hip hop beats.

Last edited:
I have a Midi keyboard, I was thinking about buying the Korg Padkontrol but I was wondering if its necessary buying a drum pad or I just use my midi keyboard keys as pads? And what are the benefit of using a drum pad? Sorry for my English I'm in Japan

Ps. I'm into sampling hip hop beats.

Dude drum pads are great. Although midi keyboards are perfectly acceptable there are pros and cons. If you sample and are looking for pads I highly suggest the Maschine by Native Intruments. Its sampling capabilities are insane. But you wont have a full range of pads to hit like your keys on a keyboard. I switched to using pads for drums and my keys for my melodies (Im a self taught composer, so that way its much more natural for me.) I dont suggest investing in the Maschine Studio if you've never had pads before because it will be overwhelming with a huge learning curve but instead the Mk1 is very powerful for sampling and now much more affordable.

Hope this helped, I say go for it you might feel like you dont "need" pads after your first purchase but trust me they will grow on you and make your music production much more streamline and creative.

depends.i can do all the usual trap hiphop dnb stuff but for nonperfect tribal rythms that would take hours to do with a mouse.
midi keyboards and drumpads can both be used to trigger the exact same thing.

I would try using both and see what feels better for you. Everybody is different so its all about what you like.

if u like the touch of pads or iff u ever messed with an mpc should the diff but keys are good aswell too find the right keys and chords basics

man you don't need any hardware whatsoever. they're just toys at this point not necessities. if you like hardware and are a complete tech junkie then go ahead and buy it. but no man you don't any type of hardware like that to make music.

man you don't need any hardware whatsoever. they're just toys at this point not necessities. if you like hardware and are a complete tech junkie then go ahead and buy it. but no man you don't any type of hardware like that to make music.

so what click in and computer keyboard? yes this is possible but IMO it's not enjoyable and i personally can't play well on the computer keys.

You definitely don't NEED a thing. The others in this thread are right in saying that pads and keys are essentially tools if not toys when producing digitally, but if they fit your workflow and you have fun using them then by all means use pads. I personally wouldn't be caught dead quantizing my drums so a pad is my #1 used piece of hardware, but you could make killer beats on lo-fi speakers in a motel room with just a laptop and your fingers if you really wanted to.

Last edited:
Well if I have to be honest. I am producing for over a year and I do not have any midi controller and monitors, I have never used a midi controller (keyboard and or drumpad) in my productions. Everything comes from my mouse and computer keyboard. The speakers I use are just a 2.1 set which you can buy for 30bucks and I try my tracks with car speakers, my cheap ass 2.1 system and in ear.

If you want to take a look what I made without any of the stuff most of the producers use on this forum, check the thread : https://www.futureproducers.com/for...ea-work-anill-oriental-trap-remix-f4f-473273/ and https://www.futureproducers.com/for...ll-trap-bootleg-feedback-returned-f4f-468454/

it's all about what you're comfortable with, but once I got used to the pads, ohhhh man, there's no going back. I still use the keyboard for melodies and whatnot, but nothing beats the feeling of pads for drums and samples.

You definitely don't need a drum pad, I've been making beats without one for some time now, i would suggest a midi keyboard though because then your gonna be drawing stuff in all day and not actually learning how to play keys. Although a drum pad is fun for beating on and banging out drum loops but its not necessary.

Last edited:
You don't need anything actually. It'll only make it easier to make stuff.

I got a Akai MPK 49 myself. a midi keyboard with 12 drumpads and some faders and 360 knobs.
Works perfect.
So IF you go for drumpads, i suggest to buy the akai mpk49

You can absolutely survive without Drum pads..;) My advice is the BASE from Livid Instruments tough. It's not too expesive and you can customize it from A to Z. It's the best way I found so far to make cool beats (Maschine studio is too expensive for me.;).

Well if I have to be honest. I am producing for over a year and I do not have any midi controller and monitors, I have never used a midi controller (keyboard and or drumpad) in my productions. Everything comes from my mouse and computer keyboard. The speakers I use are just a 2.1 set which you can buy for 30bucks and I try my tracks with car speakers, my cheap ass 2.1 system and in ear.

If you want to take a look what I made without any of the stuff most of the producers use on this forum, check the thread : https://www.futureproducers.com/for...ea-work-anill-oriental-trap-remix-f4f-473273/ and https://www.futureproducers.com/for...ll-trap-bootleg-feedback-returned-f4f-468454/

Same here. I don't even want to use MIDI controllers anymore. They just slow me down by the process

Back