Clayton Makes an R&B Beat!

C

Clayton

Hey guys!=) Check me out.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/yIQY1l4OkVY&hl=en"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/yIQY1l4OkVY&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Very nice video, but I didn't really get an R & B vibe from it. If you would've incorporated chord progressions (piano), strings, and maybe a trance gate into the mix, it probably would've sounded more R & B-ish. It's definitely professional-soundin' though. Either way, nice beat, my boy. I see you can play the keys a little bit too. Dat's always a plus!

Thanks man! Yeah I hear what you're sayin. I just "lumped" it in R&B because I thought that was the best way of describing it:P

That was pretty damn quick haha...pretty nice beat. Quick question though...Are there ALOT of different sounds on the XS compared to the ES or is it just a different interface?

Sorry Mraha but I can't really answer your question! I got the XS around September of 07 ... and before that I used a MM6 for a very short period of time (like maybe a month:P), but I've basically used Fruity Loops forever until now. I can say that I think the sounds on the XS are pretty great. Especially coz you can come up with tons more just by tweaking a few things!=)

Clayton said:
Sorry Mraha but I can't really answer your question! I got the XS around September of 07 ... and before that I used a MM6 for a very short period of time (like maybe a month:P), but I've basically used Fruity Loops forever until now. I can say that I think the sounds on the XS are pretty great. Especially coz you can come up with tons more just by tweaking a few things!=)
Speakin' of the MM6, how were the sounds on it? Does it really has da same sound engine as the Motif?

The sounds were pretty good. Yeah I would say it does. But there aren't as many sounds on the MM6. I didn't really like the MM6 though. I preferred FL to it. But that's just personal preference. I felt kinda disappointed when I got the MM6, but that might also be because I dind't do my homework on it properly. I think it was good that I had it though, because it kind of introduced me to the XS.

Clayton said:
The sounds were pretty good. Yeah I would say it does. But there aren't as many sounds on the MM6. I didn't really like the MM6 though. I preferred FL to it. But that's just personal preference. I felt kinda disappointed when I got the MM6, but that might also be because I dind't do my homework on it properly. I think it was good that I had it though, because it kind of introduced me to the XS.
I know this thread is about your video, and not the MM6, but I have 1 more question... What are the pro's and con's of the MM6?

I like the track Clayton, it's very catchy.

I feel you too, i'm rather disappointed with my MM6. However, I think it might just be that I prefer software to hardware.

Thanks Hynox! ...
It's kinda hard for me to remember the pros and cons but I'll try:P.
Pros (at least for me) were that it was an introduction to a workstation. It was the first time that I was able to actually play my stuff (I didn't have a MIDI controller so I used to do my stuff in FL's piano roll!). There were a lot of sounds compared to what I previously had available 2 me on FL. And for the price, the sounds were quite great I think.

Cons would be that there's no pattern mode, only a song kinda mode (I think, not 100% sure). Editing of sounds was more limited. And I dunno ... it really just seemed kinda basic. But that's partly understandable since it's way cheaper then the XS. I'm trying to think of more things, but that's all that came to mind...hope that helps!
Edit ... oh and I think I was also disappointed because I was hoping to work mostly on the MM6. But it really isn't meant for that. I think if someone were to buy it, it should just be for the sounds and because you can use the other racks with it. It doesn't work very well alone if you know what I mean.

Last edited by a moderator:
Clayton said:
Thanks Hynox! ...
It's kinda hard for me to remember the pros and cons but I'll try:P.
Pros (at least for me) were that it was an introduction to a workstation. It was the first time that I was able to actually play my stuff (I didn't have a MIDI controller so I used to do my stuff in FL's piano roll!). There were a lot of sounds compared to what I previously had available 2 me on FL. And for the price, the sounds were quite great I think.

Cons would be that there's no pattern mode, only a song kinda mode (I think, not 100% sure). Editing of sounds was more limited. And I dunno ... it really just seemed kinda basic. But that's partly understandable since it's way cheaper then the XS. I'm trying to think of more things, but that's all that came to mind...hope that helps!
Edit ... oh and I think I was also disappointed because I was hoping to work mostly on the MM6. But it really isn't meant for that. I think if someone were to buy it, it should just be for the sounds and because you can use the other racks with it. It doesn't work very well alone if you know what I mean.
So basically you're sayin' it works better as a sound module, instead of a workstation, right?

Last edited:
ATL Crunk Man said:
So basically you're sayin' it works better as a sound module, instead of a workstation, right?

Yeah that's pretty much it!:p

thanx lolz ... I ain't gonna lie though ... I must of recorded that like 100 times before I got it blooper free:P

Yea I love it! I have an audio interface, and Cubase LE (comes with it) ... other than that, that's pretty much all I use. I'm saving up for some good monitors =)

Back