*Beat Video* Altruwest TV Episode 19: Transitioning to Ableton Live 8

Focused

Sound Designer/Educator
[Youtube]o3uJjgDHl6E[/Youtube]

This is more of me discussing my transition into Ableton live and playing back some beat while in Ableton. No beats are being made, but this will give you an idea of what Im doing musically in Ableton. Leave you feedback and subscribe if you havent already, we are 19 episodes deep with no plans to quit.

Yeo,
Been usin' Logic for a good while now. Just over the past summer I got my shortcut key game down nice. But I'm starting to get sick of apple. I've been thinking about building a PC, and getting away from Pro Tools and Logic and start using Nuendo and Ableton.
So far you've had no problems with Ableton? As in crashes or glitchy material? Also if you quantize, how good is the program handling it?

Thanks for the vid money.

I cant say that im a pro at ableton, but I have made about 20 beats so far in Ableton since January without anything squirrely going on. Its been pretty stable for me on my setup which is Macbook Pro based. I too got tired of Apple and their lack of innovation and support for Logic. Logic has maintained pretty much the same short comings since Apple bought it (Hell look at how primitive EXS24 is). Quantization seems to be a fundamental part of Ableton because clips are being quantized all the time unless you tell Ableton to do otherwise. I have not had any issues with quantize even though I tend to program 85% of my stuff with no quantize because of the feel that I go for personally. I think overall I have had an amazing experience with ableton and its been quite motivating.

i find live scary lol. Just looking at the interface I get lost. But I've heard Rewiring my choice of software, (Reason) with Live, is the sh*t.

Good stuff though F Major ! Look forward to more videos :cheers:

Nice vid. Quantizing in Live is solid. The latest release has been a bit wobbly though, nothing to major but not as stable as previous versions. They have stopped development to solve all of the issues which is refreshing.

Cool Vid man, Imma newbie over here though I´ll share some of my stuff soon. Question, Are those the HS50M or the HS80M? Those are my nrext purchase. How do you feel with them? Thanks!ç

Nic

Cool Vid man, Imma newbie over here though I´ll share some of my stuff soon. Question, Are those the HS50M or the HS80M? Those are my nrext purchase. How do you feel with them? Thanks!ç

Nic

Hey Whats up,

In my home studio I have HS50M, and at my office I have HS80M, I like the 80M better because its easier for me to hear the bass given the size of the monitor. If you can afford them then I would highly recommend them.

As far as the plugin and sound variety, I can only comment on plugins because I dont own Live Suite (the version that comes with all the instruments). I use My own VSTs which include Komplete 6, Minimonsta,Pro53, Maschine and a couple hardware synths and guitars. As far as effects, I would say Ableton covers the general effects pretty well and also provides some very creative effects such as grain delays, beat repeater etc. My opinion is you may still want to invest in a quality set of dynamics and EQ plugins as well as some other creative effects just in general, since now DAW is really providing top tier effects, these are just added value.

Nice vid I use to think ableton mainly was intended and directed towards techno producers. I once tried albleton live but the interface looked kinda difficult. If you have a better feel to ableton then go for it
but isn't there a way to rewire ableton with reason logic etc?
that would mean the best of both worlds peace

Last edited:
Nice vid I use to think ableton mainly was intended and directed towards techno producers. I once tried albleton live but the interface looked kinda difficult. If you have a better feel to ableton then go for it
but isn't there a way to rewire ableton with reason logic etc?
that would mean the best of both worlds peace

I know a lot of us used to think that Ableton was only for techno producers and DJs, but really its a bit deeper than that and Hip Hop Has been very slow to catch on to whats going on it ableton. Im not a fan of rewire in Logic. Logic doesnt handle Rewire in a way that im comfortable with using on a normal basis, plus the response can be a bit glitchy. On the other hand, Ableton as a rewire host is probably the best I have ever used and the implementation is just so simple.

I enjoy your stuff man, been a fan for a minute. Are you done with the MPC?

Yeah with a combination of Native Instruments Maschine and Ableton Live...I have no reason to continue feeding money into setup that supports an MPC. Im finally feeling settled in my studio and Im at the point there I really dont need anything else. MPC is gone, sold it.

Im happy for you brah do whats best for you......As for me though, aint no way Im leaving my MPC soon lol

Back