7 Tips and Tricks for Reason’s Kong

beatfire1

I use this instrument a lot for hip-hop production as it simulates an MPC pretty well (minus a few functions) and thought I’d show you some not so obvious features that can make production a lot easier and faster.

To see the whole article with pictures head to my beat and instrumental website

1. Show Drum And FX

For new users this button isn’t very obvious and yet it hides some very powerful features of Kong. Once you click this button another section of Kong opens up and allows you to access different devices and effects that can be applied to each pad.

2. Dr Rex Nurse Loop Player

I had been using Kong for ages before I realized how powerful the mini rex player was. It’s best feature is that you can quickly move the start and end point of a rex loop to trigger on your pad. It’s great for making drum and bass drum tracks from existing loops and keep that authentic swing and loop variation.

3. Copy And Paste Sample

This function works well when using the Rex player and you want to duplicate your sample so you have different trigger points of the same loop/sound. You can just right click on a pad with the sample you want and choose ‘copy drum patch’, then highlight the pad you would like to paste the sample to and right click ‘paste drum patch’.

4. Triggering 2 samples from 1 pad

You can use the nano xt to load up multiple sounds onto 1 pad, so for example you wanted an 808 for your sub bass and a lighter kick for the knock you can load them up onto one pad and perform nice percussion runs/bass lines at the same time using this method coupled with a pitch shift.

5. Create your own samples from scratch

The drum synthesisers inside of Kong are really flexible and can create a large variety of synth or acoustic drum sounds. With the large array of knobs for tweaking drum hits it is easy to spend long periods of time designing new and interesting hits.

6. Add a delay to your hi-hat for crazy rhythms

It’s now super easy to add delay to a single drum hit using the buss-able effects inside of kong. I often add a delay to my hi hat sample and adjust the delay time to hit on the off beat so I only have to play half the amount of notes to get a driving cymbal rhythm. Once the midi performance has been recorded you can easily swag out your rhythm by turning the delay time up or down.

7. Hit types

These are for more advanced users but allow you to change the way your pads react with the nurse rex player and other devices. With the nurse loop player selecting chunk will allow you to trigger specific sections of the loop and spread it out over different pads, a huge timesaver!

Last edited:
Back