5 quick tips to make your Hihats alive

Shroom020

1. Flanger
Adding a flanger to your hihats will give it some movement. Instead of just staying in one place all the time it will give you the feel they’re moving around you a bit. Don’t overdo it unless you do it on purpose to create a certain effect.

hihats-pic001.png

2. Reverb
This is a super standard tip but I always use it on my hihats to create some ambience. If I don’t add a little reverb to my hihats I feel they sound kinda dead. I never try to overdo it tho. I just add it slightly so you rather feel it than really hear it.

hihats-pic002.png

3. Different samples
Use two or three slightly different hihat samples (not layered but back to back) to give it more of a “Live” feel. When a drummer plays the hihat everytimes he hits it it sound slightly different. So to re-create that drummer feel I like to use a few different hihat samples.

4. Cut lows. Boost highs
Depending on the sound of the hihats I like to roll off a lot of the lower frequencies (below 200-500hz) and boost the top end a bit. The reason I like to do this is cause I like my hihats pretty clean and cut thru the mix. But like with everything it also depends what sound I’m goin for and what fits the record.

hihats-pic003.png

5. Program Hihats off-grid
A drummer never hits the notes exactly ON the click track. That’s why I always program my hihats slightly off-grid to create some bounce. Also make sure you play around with the velocity/volume of your hihats for the same reason.

hihats-pic004.png

by Shroom
BeatPlugBlog.com

ProducedByShroom.com
Subscribe to my mailinglist and receive Free Samples

Back