Write a song - Steps by Steps ?

C

cowby

Hi,

I am an newbie on writing song and need you guys to give me some direction.

When do I start first ?

Chord, melody, and drum which one to do first

Cowby

what up...
it's really different for everybody. Some people lay down the drums first, then the bass, then add chords and melody.

I personally have written different songs in different orders. I've started with the chords then added drums, then bass, then melody. I've also started with a melody then added chords, and drums, then bass. I've also started with drums, then chords, then bass.

I'd say start with whatever you have an idea for. If you have a good idea for a melody in your head, then start with that, record it- or sequence it- listen to it and try to hear what you want to add to it. If you can picture a really good beat with it, add that next. then, a really good bass line might pop into your head. etc...

just start with what you have first, then go with it. :)
-Mike

Mike,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I got a so-called "Chord dictionary" book which shows me how to place your fingers to form a chord. But the point is at least one must know some theory / tricks say if the first chord is C Major/Minor, what possibles chords to be next and next and next ?

Cowby

I listen to my feelings.

in general I choose a range of note, i place my left hand and press some deep pads to start feel the inspiration coming... i press different notes on that chosen range, slowly.. then i try to repeat again and again the same movement as i perfect it and correct it... then i place my rigth hand on the keyboard and try to find a melody or a suite of notes that really makes the whole thing stand out.

etc.. etc.. :)

ManoOne,

Agree, if the sound is good (i mean the sound combination) than sometimes we don't have to bind to those so-called music theory. But on-and-on, actually our feeling will fall-in those theory without notice :)

Cowby

True... True...

This is interesting because I have books on music theory, however, I find I rarely actually use them. If you listen to your ear (pardon the pun), you will automatically gravitate towards what sounds appropriate. It's sort of like language if you think about it. It's defined in textbooks so that we have a common basis of reference, but when it's time for you to speak, you don't think about the textbook. You simply say what comes naturally.

Music theory is great and everyone should try to learn about it, but when your creating, just let it flow and then comeback afterwards and see if you can find how your creation fits into any particular music rule/theory.

Hey Cowby,

I Agree with above guys ... its different for everyone ... generally for me I start with some melodic or chordal or rythmic idea that gets me inspired ... this could be anything ... then I start to add stuff to it ... and come up with a complete "PART" ... (There's a concept in classical music theory called "themes and variations" .... which is probably the closest to the method I use ... I do get kinda bogged down with it sometimes.) :)

Then I try to come up with other parts (the variations/or totally contrasting parts) that would fit to make a song out of it.

The main thing to remeber here is that usually a "song" or instrumental piece has distinct parts that are arranged in some order (and with some variation ... depending) ... like the "standard" (verse/verse/chorus/verse/break/verse/chorus type model ... the order isnt as important as long as there is some structure).

Some "concepts" (not necesarily in order of importance)

1) Stucture
2) Theme (The main Musical Idea)
3) Variation (Variation of the main Idea)
4) Contrast (A part of a song that contrasts or "sets off" the main theme)
5) Emotion
6) Movement
7) Style
8) Dynamics (Loudsness/softness)
9) Empty Space (In DJ music sometime there might not seem to be alot of it ... hehe :))

etc. Kinda vague but ....

Hope that helps a little,

DanMan

Hey, don't forget multiple mixes

Hey, don't forget, we can always produce the obligatory 3 versions for that vinyl 12" press :)

One can be the dramatic "as I want it" version, the second can be that dj version with the nice lead-in (less dramatic intro) and choice of either radio version (is it down to 3 minutes now?) or the dub mix:)

well, I'm one to always promote learning music theory. maybe it's because of my classical instruction where everything must fit in with proper theory. But I think it's LOADS of help in every situation outside of classical music. In everything from rock to techno to ... anything.

I think maybe some people don't like it because it may seem like it's restricting your creativity with all the rules. But I think it helps you more than it restricts you. and you can get around those restrictions to get any sound that's in your head. It helps you by letting you get what you want easier. You can be like "oh, I want it to saound like this" and you can be like "oh! I know how to do that! ... I'm so glad I learned music theory" (hehe)

well, that's all of my music theory propoganda for now.

-Mike

Good posts by all. I am not classically trained myself. The only riffs/notes that I know how to play on the keyboard are chopsticks and the theme to Beverly Hills Cop :) (My friends love it when I play that out of the blue :) we all get a good laugh). The only music background I have are two years of violin when I was a wee kiddie and guitar which I picked up about 5 years ago. I can kinda sorta figure out what sounds good/sounds like crap when I bang it out on a keyboard. The only thing that I use which remotely resembles music theory is the concept that (in most cases) all changes to the music are on the 8th beat or some multiple of eight. When I figured this out, I spent a whole week counting to myself :). Ultimately, Do what feels right to you :). There is no wrong way to make music. It's all good.

Trainwreck.

Back