Is it worth learning classic Piano?

Fckthwrld

Hello!

Last week i bought Ableton Live 8 with a free upgrade to 9, in the Suite Edition. This is my first DAW ever, and i just started to "produce" "music" :D ... Before that i played guitar a few years.

Im wondering the whole time if its worth to learn classic Piano with a teacher... I would buy an Digital-Piano and take lessons, learn more music theory etc.

So I ask for youre opionions: Is it worth time and money?

G

Fckthwrld

IMHO do it - you will not regret learning technique or knowledge that makes it easier to create/play music

Of curse i wont "regret" it. but this project efforts time and money i could put into music production at the pc. im just asking if its worth it.

which only goes to show that you do not understand the English language as written or spoken - if you will not regret it then, it must, by simple corollary, be worth it......

i don't know how to play the piano but i heard that it helps A LOT in composing...right now i'm drawing in notes but it would be so much easier if i knew how to play the keyboard...so in the near future when i can find some time i will definitely be taking some piano lessons!

so i would say if you have the means, learn to play!

YESSSS!!!! REALLY HELPS. Trust me i know, i started producing before i learned to play piano, once i learnt soooo much easier

your question is like "should i know how to make music before i start make music?"
totaly worth it, even tho alot of ppl here are tone-deaf, and think they dont have to play in key

go for it mate!

Even learning the basics will help you in the long run

---------- Post added at 03:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:33 AM ----------

so I'd say go for it and it helps you a ton and can help things go a lot quicker

YES absolutely do it,
you don't want to be one of those producers who can't even play back the melodies they've created because when they made they randomly clicked away on the mouse

I agree with the posts 100%.. but I have always wondered how much 'learning' how to play as opposed to 'understanding' both music theory/ the keyboard itself differ in a producers ability to actually create songs.
Would you all agree that being able to read/ play sheet music will inadvertently enhance your ability to produce music? There are obviously benefits (knowing how to sit down and play sheet music is a great feat/ learn certain elements about the piano itself) but if you're not a producer living in your parents basement, you may not have the time/ money to do such a thing.. and prioritizing your time/ money is always a factor when you try to fit your hobby in between everything else (Work, school, play).
So what i'm asking is, should an individual take the time to learn how to properly position their hands, play with the right fingers, read sheet music, learn how to play at the right tempo (Plus all the other mumbo jumbo that goes along with learning how to 'play') Or would you guys just suggest that learning the theory/ how to use the piano properly is more essential?

I agree with the posts 100%.. but I have always wondered how much 'learning' how to play as opposed to 'understanding' both music theory/ the keyboard itself differ in a producers ability to actually create songs.
Would you all agree that being able to read/ play sheet music will inadvertently enhance your ability to produce music?
LOL, of course not. Who would even suggest that? That's like asking would owning an expensive archtop guitar inadvertently enhance my ability to play jazz. Would help, but its certainly not necessary.

There are obviously benefits (knowing how to sit down and play sheet music is a great feat/ learn certain elements about the piano itself) but if you're not a producer living in your parents basement, you may not have the time/ money to do such a thing.. and prioritizing your time/ money is always a factor when you try to fit your hobby in between everything else (Work, school, play).
So what i'm asking is, should an individual take the time to learn how to properly position their hands, play with the right fingers, read sheet music, learn how to play at the right tempo (Plus all the other mumbo jumbo that goes along with learning how to 'play') Or would you guys just suggest that learning the theory/ how to use the piano properly is more essential?

Depends....
Does the person want to learn how to play the piano....or does the person want to learn how music works through the piano(with the end goal being using the piano as a compositional tool).
If your desire is the latter, not the former, you would be better served learning how to play for the sake of being able to maneuver around the instrument and not hurting yourself (technique), learning to read (for the sake of learning tunes in a given genre to understand how harmony and melodies work in actual music), ear training and transcription (learning to play what you hear-IMPORTANT) and of course, music theory (scales, chords, etc.) The objective at this point isn't virtuosity, but the utilization of the instrument for the expression of music. Its not so much learning to play the piano as it is development of basic musicianship to serve the musician's creative needs. Would you agree that knowing how to play your instrument in addition to understanding tempo are the necessary elements of musicianship?

Last edited:
Yes. It is worth it definitely. Doesn't have to be piano, but so far piano is the most versatile, as you can then play generally any keys, MIDI keyboards realtime etc. PLUS you get this imagination of octaves and scales, which is definitely helpful when creating a melody. Even more, you can create more complex arrangements/instrument accompainments the better you can play it.
I recommend to learn it to the level where you can play anything what's in your head without problems figuring out what notes those are and without timing problems. Of course there's no need to be able to play Liszt or Chopin like the most emotional musician :D

Depends on what you plan to do with your music. And where you already are with your playing skills. I assume though because you ask the question in the first place, you would benefit from it.

I've never used many classic piano techniques in beats. I'm not even sure most people chiming in understand that won't translate to understanding hip hop basslines or bending synths in trance music. Great for RnB Ballads though. You already play guitar, so combining the two will give you a widespread sound.

Also not sure the OP meant "classical piano", he may be referring to just learning piano which you absolutely need an understanding of. Not a "professional" understanding of, but some type of understanding just to make your music sound good.

Back