Workflow Questions

3nigma2013

Ello :D

So, I recently started producing electronic music. Dubstep, IDM, and the likes. Haven't really made a FULL track yet, mostly just been experimenting and creating things under 2 minutes.

My question to all peeps who dabble in this arena, what is your workflow like?

I'm having a hard time figuring out my own. Usually, I make a few presets in a select number of synthesizers and jot down some music ideas with them, and basically pattern them up in my sequencer's 'arrangement' or 'playlist view' to link them as a song.

My problem is this. I can hear an awesome track in my head, like just the craziest music ever, but when it comes time to squeeze it out of my brain I usually lose the initial idea because of the nasty business of making presets, which, as some of you know, can take HOURS for just ONE synth sound.

Also, some artist interviews I've read have stated that they make ALL the presets before they even begin to compose. To me, that seems very smart, but at the same time I don't really understand how exactly that plays out because... Well, the nature of electronic music is very abstract. Creating dozens of sounds and having them fit to a coherent idea seems strange to me rather than making presets as you go along in the song with whatever inspirations and motivations you come up with during the process.

I'd love any input or comments, thanks!

Last edited:
I think its a good idea to spend a few days or weeks creating various sounds. Then once you set down to get creative, your only doing minor tweaks and not building sounds from scratch.

Like you said, you can spend hours tweaking a patch. For me, I need to keep moving and making progress on the composition of the track to feel like im getting anything done. There is nothing worse than spending 4 hours at your DAW and barely anything to show for it.

Back