Why does the filter put an extra dB on the track?

bamsehopp

Hey, so maybe this is a noob-question. I'm trying to analyze a track thats already mixed and mastered and polished. As expected it peaks at 0 dB, but when i put a HP-filter on it goes over 1, why does this happen? Shouldn't the removal of frequency content lower the overhaul volume?

Cheers

Are you using a specific/dedicated HP filter plugin?
If you are using a dedicated HP filter plugin, does it have an output/volume control?
If it does then simply dial it back down by -1db
If it doesn't have one, try checking the resonance or the "Q" of the HP filter.
If you are using an EQ and just check the output or the resonance (Q)

Some plugins can have flaws (or bugs or maybe it was just made that way), that can affect the overall volume of whatever you put it on. You can simply dial down your master fader as needed. In your case that would be -1 DB.

Last edited:
Not 100% sure about this but I think:
Steep filters can have a boosting effect around the cutoff- it's something to do with phase but I can't quite figure out what

Ah yes, could be the phase but in conjunction to what I said, steep filters have a boost around the cutoff because of the resonance (Q). Most EQs and filters tend to behave this way.

I only know one plugin that can have as steep as -96db HP/LP filter without any of the resonance sideffect: Vengance Sound Philta.

Last edited:
Back