Why do my 808s get quieter when i put them...

Stevethaboss

in the pattern in fl studio.? Like when I'm picking which 808 i want on the sidebar they all like blast my ear off but when i place them onto the pattern thing i can barley hear them?

---------- Post added at 04:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:07 PM ----------

nevermind i figured it out lol.. it wasnt on c5

An 808 is a drum synth from the 80s. 80s hardware drum synths don't show up in FL's sidebar. Does 808 mean drum sample now?

Last edited:
An 808 is a drum synth from the 80s. 80s hardware drum synths don't show up in FL's sidebar. Does 808 mean drum sample now?

Ever since Fruity Loops came out the instrument select knob on my 808 fell off and almost all of the mixer section vanished leaving only the Bass Drum. :p

^^hahah just some quality answers right there. I don't know what regulates the volume of the preview of the samples but the audio does go through the master track(any effects you have on the master will modify the sound of the preview). When you drop the sampled audio from your vintage 80's drum machine into the playlist maybe when you trigger steps the velocity is low? When the samples play in the playlist look at a dB meter and see where the audio is peaking relative to 0 dB or unity gain. If its up there then you are alright just turn the volume up on your speakers. If it is not then your channel volume may be turned down, the velocity of the notes are low or the sample is just quiet and needs some preamp and compression.

---------- Post added at 10:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:10 PM ----------

Oh wow now I understand the humor...he had already figured it out. Oh well.

In Live velocity is subtractive I think. So 100% velocity on a sample = 100% volume. The preview plays without any processing so it just plays full scale audio, whereas when you import it velocity defaults to <100% so its quiet.

Its compounded for me personally as I tend to have channels averaging at -12dB so the preview is really loud.

Back