Who has bought Busy Works Beats "Music Theory in a Day"?

Psalm

I want to learn music theory so I am thinking about purchasing this music theory video course. The only issue is that it costs $60, I am willing to pay that much but I don't want it to be a waste of my money if it turns out not to be worth it.
Has anyone bought this? Is it worth the money?

Music Theory in a Day

I am also open to cheaper suggestions whether or not you have bought this or not. I am willing to read a book to learn theory but learning through video tutorials is much more appealing to me. So are there any other video tutorial series out there that will help me? Or maybe a book could be better?

Dude, there are free Music theory videos all over YouTube. Just put Music theory in the search bar and pick one that looks the most informative.

Here are two sites that I frequently go to to brush up on some music theory.

musictheory.net This one is good for interactive learning. They give you interactive lessons and the opportunity to test yourself with interactive exercises

Music Theory This is another good one. The front page shows you where you should start in learning theory and the steps to do so.

Good luck.

music theory in 24 hours (that is what in day means) may not actually be what you end up with as it will take many more hours simply to start applying let alone understanding and knowing

try teoria.com

From what I've seen busy works beats is good at making beats and thats about it. When it comes to technical stuff and theory he shouldn't be charging anyone for anything.

You could get a month pass to groove 3 for 15 bucks and watch a music theory course plus however many other ones you can fit in a month. The music theory course on groove 3 is pretty basic but then there is also Jazz Theory which goes way deeper. Then songwriting theory as well, etc.. 15 bucks Vs 60.

Mac Pro Vid and Lynda are also options you could get for a month I think. Little more expensive, but either way. You're getting a months worth of every video you'll ever need for production/mixing/mastering, etc.. for about a quarter of the cost of busy works beats music theory course.

Efficiency at its finest.

Last edited:
You'd be better off getting weekly lessons. Get more value for your money, IMO.

tooo expensive. I really want to. I was looking into it but its like 50-60 bucks for an hour? How much can I learn in an hour a week? Is it worth it you think for that price? All I really need are practicing techniques i know all the entry level theory. Ive never had lessons before so I dont know what to expect. Hard for me to realize what id actually learn in an hour.

tooo expensive. I really want to. I was looking into it but its like 50-60 bucks for an hour? How much can I learn in an hour a week? Is it worth it you think for that price? All I really need are practicing techniques i know all the entry level theory. Ive never had lessons before so I dont know what to expect. Hard for me to realize what id actually learn in an hour.
Okay, don't. "shrugs"

I don't buy products with blatant, over the top lies in the marketing. i have a LOT to learn on music theory. i only started studying it recently but a day? GTFO

here's a good free e-book, ravenspiral guide to music theory http://www.worldofbryan.com/rsg2mt.pdf

a product that's been helping me is dance music production fundamental series. a lot of their genre specific stuff is crap but these ones have been a big help. i produce hip-hop but the same concepts apply.

Okay, don't. "shrugs"
I wasnt contradicting you i was asking you. How much can you actually learn in an hour a week? Then I was explaining my scenario haha. I agree you should take them. I was asking if its worth the money if you dont really have the extra money.

Last edited:
in my experience the benefits of a teacher one on one are worth the money

you get to ask why and to explore how and to validate what you have done on your own

explore it for yourself

I wasnt contradicting you i was asking you. How much can you actually learn in an hour a week? Then I was explaining my scenario haha. I agree you should take them. I was asking if its worth the money if you dont really have the extra money.
Sorry for my tone, Yumid. I wasn't being snarky, just saying, "do what you think works for you". I've switched teachers a few times and gone solo here and there. Its not necessarily about how much you can learn in an hour, but getting real-time feedback on whatever issues you might have, as well as someone to explain things to you in a more personalized manner (which helps alot, you start to understand the difference between a one-size-fits-all explanation and an answer directed towards you the individual). But it also means being a self-motivated person to make the most of the hours spent away from the lesson. Didn't want to come accross as preachy.

I would love lessons but my broke ass can't afford it. i'm in pretty severe poverty right now and society isn't structured for people to rise up right now. so i'm having to bust my ass to get ahead. things are looking up (switching careers) but it's gonna be a few months before i'm back on my feet.

To the question "is it worth it if you don't have money" i'd look at whatever habits you have (fast food, weed, sneakers, whatever the ****) can be cut down on.

I would love lessons but my broke ass can't afford it. i'm in pretty severe poverty right now and society isn't structured for people to rise up right now. so i'm having to bust my ass to get ahead. things are looking up (switching careers) but it's gonna be a few months before i'm back on my feet.

To the question "is it worth it if you don't have money" i'd look at whatever habits you have (fast food, weed, sneakers, whatever the ****) can be cut down on.

I think it's too much. I just ordered chord magic and I learned nothing that I didn't already know. It was only $25 with a $10 coupon and it was still too much. It's for like people with no knowledge at all!

Last edited:
I been wanting to buy the music theory in a day course from him to. I think he gives good incite and knowledgeable things. I have learned a lot from him but there are a lot of free music theory stuff online. But I still wouldn't mind giving him $20 just cause. At least he put together a information marketing package of his own work. Cant knock him for that!

From what I've seen busy works beats is good at making beats and thats about it. When it comes to technical stuff and theory he shouldn't be charging anyone for anything.

You could get a month pass to groove 3 for 15 bucks and watch a music theory course plus however many other ones you can fit in a month. The music theory course on groove 3 is pretty basic but then there is also Jazz Theory which goes way deeper. Then songwriting theory as well, etc.. 15 bucks Vs 60.

Mac Pro Vid and Lynda are also options you could get for a month I think. Little more expensive, but either way. You're getting a months worth of every video you'll ever need for production/mixing/mastering, etc.. for about a quarter of the cost of busy works beats music theory course.

Efficiency at its finest.

I dont think you GET what Busy Works Beats is promoting...as in ALL scales are man made so he takes it to a purely math situation

Do you think it will help you grow? Buy it! It probably will help you. Maybe you only learn one thing from it. You sell someone one beat with that one-thing because they liked it, you already made your money back.

Last edited:
Back