When learning to play the keys is a 4 octave keyboard sufficient?

Dariel!

Well the thing is I want to learn to play the keys and I see that this midi keyboard I want to buy, called the samsung carbon 49. It has four octaves, as well as semi-weighted keys and I was wondering if this was sufficient enough for me to learn on. I know a full piano has about 7 octaves or so, so I'm really not sure if this could suffice.The Keyboard goes for 99 dollars and is a steal imo cause it also works with my ipad. I also currently have a piano tutorial video series on my keyboard to help teach me how to play since I am a beginner.

So, is four octaves not enough? If so than how many octaves would you say I should get?

Last edited:
recommendations will vary, but minimum is 61 and a few will 76 or 88.

You can learn on a 49 key keyboard, but in the end you are looking at a severely limited range within which to play, even if you use the octave shift keys to go higher or lower.

The treble and bass clefs cover 3 octaves without going above or below the lines - this is fairly limited as there are instruments and sounds that occupy the two octaves above the treble clef, let alone the bass going another octave and 6 semitones below the bass clef....

Gosh 61 at least. Those are pretty expensive.

I guess my only option is to stick with a 49 key one and upgrade in time.

Last edited:
I learned on 49 keys and did just fine.Had to make some small compromises but nothing that stopped me from getting the job done.Although, if you can afford it,don't be cheap and get a full 61-88 keys keyboard.It will be much better.I would even recommend that you get a full-weighted keyboard because it's 10 times better for playing piano.It will allow you better expression when you play.

Last edited:
I appreciate it man.

Which 49 key midid did you learn on?

Im thinking of purchasing one and can't make up my mind.

I first had the ESI keycontrol 49xt.I still use it for synths but now my main keyboard is full-weighted 88 keys.There will come a time when you will want something better.
If you plan on getting something better later on I would recommend you get the Samson Carbon 49 which you mentioned because you can't find anything cheaper than that and you will definitely won't find anything better at that price.However I don't believe that it's semi-weighted.

But why not spend an extra $70 and get this?
http://www.amazon.com/M-Audio-Keyst...37296&sr=1-14&keywords=49+key+midi+controller

Last edited:
Thanks man.

I was looking at that one too. The keystation looks nice but so does the M-Audio oxygen 49.

I thought about the samson untill I read that the keys being terrible in the amazon reviews for it.

---------- Post added 08-24-2013 at 03:09 AM ---------- Previous post was 08-20-2013 at 06:51 PM ----------

I got a 61 key keyboard instead of 49 keys.

I ended up getting an Alesis keyboard that was cheap, although it feels plasticky and cheap as expected.

I guess its something that is better than nothing though and I could always sell it one day and get something way better.

Last edited:
i'd say yes, a smaller keyboard is good for learning to understand your musical scales and everything. But if you're really planning a live performance and learning to play your bassnotes at the same time as your chords or melody, you want a bigger keyboard. there's always a workaround for producers using smaller keyboards and midicontrollers. i started out with a small akai keyboard that cost me almost nothing, but check out the cheap one i ordered now. it's a tweak midi controller, with 61 keys, 8 pads, 9 faders and some knobs, and it cost me 120€.

Back