N

nattwalls

when making beats, how many bars would your
intro
verses
chorus
bridge
outro, be?

i know there isnt an industry standard, but i was curious to know how fp arranged their beats.

safe
peace

ez man...

I count bars 1 beat 2 beat 3 beat 4 beat = 1 bar 4/4 time... lol

now that the jokes is out of the way...

there are no general rules for this...

In Hip Hop they like 16bar verse 8bar hook/chorus... so that's 8 intro, 16 verse, 8 hook/chorus(which should have been noted in the intro), 16 verse, 8 hook/chorus, 8 out...

That's the simple cut dry...

when you get into other stuff you start noticing pre-chorus, codas, breakdown/bridge blah blah blah...

those can come and go as you need them and develop an ear for noticing that stuff...

a good excercise is to listen to lots of music and notice which parts you are paying the most attention to, and try to note where they are in the song... the pre-chorus is powerful stuff the beatles used it a lot, and some rock songs are starting to incorporate it again, hip hop leans a lot towards the breakdown/bridge where people do there nasty grinding on the floor, or deep hook work.. a lot of room in there to work so... I would say check out a couple tracks you like right down beat for beat where things happen and try to incorprate that format into your work... Don't copy the beat, but the structure...

keep up man.. I hope that helps...
ez,
k

Last edited:
sanguis - what do you make? symphonies?

kyle - cheers for that advice, but i know all that stuff already. i was asking from a personal persepective. how many bars per section in you own music do you count?

for your answer id imagine 8 16 8 16 etc

that's what I was saying the typical that people like is the 8 16 8 16 hence the movie 16bars...

but you never know what will work... this one I did that had an 8 intro 24 bar verse, 8 bar hook, 16 verse, 8 hook the kid liked because he actually wanted to use that space... so you just have to use your best judgement if you know all that stuff already...

It depends on the song.. I will sometimes do an 4 bar intro, 8 bar verse, 8 bar hook, 16 for the 2nd verse..etc.. it's whatever I feel for the song.. I'm starting to add like a 2 or 4 bar breakdown then jump into the chorus/hook or verse.. Sometimes I base it around my artists.. If I know an artist is weak in writing skills(like if they can only write a 30 sec power rhymes then starts to fade into some dumb ****) or doesn't have the iron lungs then I will shorten it or break it up (Timbo does some **** like that )

Last edited:
yea it really depndes, on the song, on the beat, sometimes i like verses to be 18 bars long, very unconventional as it isnt divisable by 4, but it adds flavor, and i like 24 bar verses as well, and nowadays rappers are gettin lazy, look at gorilla zoe and gucci main, they spit 12 bar verses LOL

Yeah gutty I don't know what it is about the 24 verse but i noticed Nas does it a lot... it makes it seem a little more natural... I don't know... I'll try out that 18 sounds interesting... never heard a 12 bar seems lazy as you said lol...

ez,
k

Last edited:
Depending on the BPM it's either 8 or 16.

70-100 BPM = 16 bars

100-160 = 8 bars (or 16 bars if I'm too lazy to draw in FL Studio lol)

yea its usually 8 bar choruse then a 16 bar verse

but in rnb its usually a 8 verse, 4 hook, 8 verse twice then a 4 or 8 bridge

nattwalls said:
sanguis - what do you make? symphonies?

:D:p:D:p:D:p

But to answer your question, I tend to go 24 bars on verses for mid- or up-tempo stuff, and 16 for down-tempo. Almost always 8 for the chorus, 4 or 8 for intro and outro (if any).

Back