what's the difference between old school hip hop and new school hip hop in depth

drinmaster

i would like to know the difference beteen old school hip hop and new. because you see i feel that the true difference is that the new kids are being brainwashed with a complete materialistic form of rap and thats how its coming i love listening to e dog pund and **** and snoop and dre and tupac and eazy but especially the young black youth like all my peers so **** this this is too old but i think it'' be sounding hella good this is what i cam eup on but they just go forom song to song and i can't tell the difference in song quality and design because suppoisedly when i rap that "old school" style is showing and i can tell what that ids may some body pleas e explain this to me.

Ok, let me take a stab at this one (again, this is just my opinion). Mainstream rap/hip hop music of today is a derivative of an ideology that depicts a lifestyle that many will never obtain. It lacks substance that otherwise would persuade a listener to want to listen to more of the artist's or groups music. Let's face it, most of the music out now all sound the same. There is little to no originality. It's all about the money, jewels, ho's, flashy cribs and whips. There's more to this art-form than conveying messages that inevitably do more negative that positive thiings for society and the hip hop culture itself. Now, back in the day (early 80's to mid 90's) even artist's like Ice Cube (just as an example) came up with songs like "Today Was A Good Day" even as a gangsta rap artist. It's about credible substance in my opinion, and that's what's lacking in this genre nowadays. Holla back.

http://www.trimodproductions.com

Content, Content, Content!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm a huge fan of that whole jazz hip hop era. I don't know man....why but it seems the more new cats that enter hip hop the more superficial the subject matter. It's all fun to dance to it if that is your thing, But 15 songs of the same thing is a bit much. I also think we need rappers like Soljaboy Tellem.... he allows me to appreciate rappers that always deliver content of a deeper meaning. Like everything that evolves ... I think hip hop is just going through a phrase.

LOL. I hope that was a joke about the rap game needing more rappers like soulja boy and we just couldn't pick up on the sarcasm. Next time, please do not talk about a cd full of the same songs and then say we need more soulja boys. If anything, I have stopped listening to new rap music because of how horrible and how much of a joke he has made the rap game. If you want to talk about content in songs, talk about artist like Lupe Fiasco, Jadakiss, or Nas. Not soulja boy.

the music of this era doesnt teach you anything...people just want to have fun and party in these days, they dont speak on reality. its disneyland in their minds. they are in their own little world haha..
know what i mean

the originality in mainstream Hip Hop has been stripped away in replace of the copy cat, generic songs we hear 2day... the diverse range of artists that talked about everything and anything has been pushed to the "underground"... less receptive radio stations that only come on at night, and u hafta do ur homework to find out when the album's droppin and to know where and when theyre performing... not the way it was when Hip Hop was strong... let different artists write songs that are "out of the box" more and i'll enjoy it again... as of rite now, i enjoy listenin to sports radio.

da relic

i could go into this DEEP, but i wont :)

for me hip-hop was the bronx B-boys an wildstyle, now days its all gone pop...but thats just scratchin the surface of what i think... an yhe soulja boy is WHACK!..i think you should leave now...

The reason HipHop has a different sound is a) it's not 1990 anymore, things change. Look at any other genre and how it has changed over the last few decades. b) HipHop is youth driven, and the youth at the moment want fun, energetic music. c) Money. In direct connection with b. The more an artist's target market is in the 12-18 year old range, the more popular they will become and the more money they will make. I'm 28 years old and would NEVER purchase a tshirt or other product just because it had the name of a band/artist/rapper that I liked, but my 12 year old niece, hell yeah she will.

Old School Hip Hop: music hardware, vinyl records, no sampling laws, diverse subject matter and intricate lyricism, no Clear Channel, no radio playlist.

New School Hip Hop: music software, cds and mp3s, strict sampling laws, generic subject matter and basic lyrics, Clear Channel, a radio playlist.

da relic

well in my opinion hip hop had gone down the popularity scale because of people lik soulja boy.. but wat impulsemusic said is right hip hop is driven by the youth and we cant change that kids wanna party this days and listen to bouncy songs to shake their asses to lol. but yea te old school is the era to be in and every one here is right... its lacking essence originality, lyricism, passion, and well now adays youth dont have to go through alot so there is no more of that thuggish old skool hard stuff that we are used to. its all part of life, things get old and forgotten, but i do believe that rap and hip hop will become strong again.

Old School Hip Hop: music hardware, vinyl records, no sampling laws, diverse subject matter and intricate lyricism, no Clear Channel, no radio playlist.

New School Hip Hop: music software, cds and mp3s, strict sampling laws, generic subject matter and basic lyrics, Clear Channel, a radio playlist.

da relic

Not really sure why hardware vs software would matter, and there has ALWAYS been copywrite laws. And to say that hiphop in it's early days was lyrically diverse is a bit of a stretch. Most hiphop was generally about money, struggles and women, and instead of the fat dookie chains, silly clothes and flashing money, now they... oh wait, that's exactly what they do today. The only reason people think hiphop was so great back in the day, is because you grew up with it. If you were growing up with the music that is on the radio right now, you would think it was hot. Every generation has the same complaint.

he wanted an in depth difference... hardware vs software has alot to do with the difference... sampling laws were made a lot stricter bcuz of rulings that artists lost in court... and ol' skool Hip Hop mightve had the "money" songs, but in Hip Hop today, EVERY song is a money song... when u do hear a song thats different, (kick, push... gangsta rap made me do it, Jesus walks") its soooooo refreshing!

da relic

da relic

Last edited:
hiphop is only beats these days, we(producers) have excelled beyond past producers and people typically only listen to the beat in hiphop these days IMO

Also, rap and hiphop seemed to have merged together, as hiphop became more accepted, record labels had to tone it down, and its more "white" than ever, (coming from a white kid)

We need more groups like heiroglyphics, souls of mischeif, pharcyde, and a tribe called quest...IMO that era killed it, they were so damn good there was nowhere to go but for music to get worse

But its also not just hiphop, I havnt heard a good song in any genre in years, it's pathetic.

Not really sure why hardware vs software would matter, and there has ALWAYS been copywrite laws. And to say that hiphop in it's early days was lyrically diverse is a bit of a stretch. Most hiphop was generally about money, struggles and women, and instead of the fat dookie chains, silly clothes and flashing money, now they... oh wait, that's exactly what they do today. The only reason people think hiphop was so great back in the day, is because you grew up with it. If you were growing up with the music that is on the radio right now, you would think it was hot. Every generation has the same complaint.

I grow up with the music on the radio these days, and never liked rap, I heard 93 til infiniti and I bought an MPC haha...software makes music sound less organic, and i feel just brings about a different vibe, also hiphop might not have been lyrically diverse before but the topics had much more depth...you can write metaphors on metaphors about struggle, i dunno how hot a line can be describing your jeans or your girl

Old School/Real Hip-Hop = Revolution, empowerment, and creatvity.

Hip-Hop today (98 %) = Materialism, meaningless bull****, and vanity.

There was a time when lyrics mattered; people actually had things to
talk about. Nowadays nobody is talking about anything.

Back in the day there was also bad hip hop, it's just that we don't want to remember it.

I think the most important part is that it's too popular so it's gone pop, being watered down for radio, to be as non offensive as can be. Great hip hop is still being made, it's just not played on the radio. Not much has changed in that perspective. It's just a pop 'layer' that has been added to the spectrum.

second is the sampling that was done back in the day, and less now. Like Relic said, it's become too restrictive. So people now are making their own compositions on the phatom etc.

The old hardware was more primitive, which forced you to be creative with what you got, and really learn it inside out to get anywhere, Nowadays you got a plug for everything, ppl are just being lazy and have too much options losing focus.
The sound of the hardware was different, more gritty, less highs (8bit / 22Khz samplerate SP1200 for instance) less clean

depends on what u mean by old school...the hip hop of today is a carbon copy of early 80s hip hop before samples were used heavily....

i personally like old school hiphop better. i listen to alot of old cash money, lauren hill, tupac, jayz. i just fell that hip hop is in a phase like said before. people rather play it safe then b sorry. they rather come with the same clithe content an sell then not. i mean we personally cant knock it cuz we wud do the same for the checks they seeing... but yea it would be nice to hear sumfin different everyonce in a while.

to get back on topic... old hip hop def. had a mesage and told more of story to the listener..now a days all the songs just sound like the artist is trying to bag the listener by talkin bout what they got an can do...

Back