What's the actual deal with these drums?

Ran

Hello Gentlemen,

I have been digging a lot of stuff from Knxwledge, Mndsgn, Tuamie and the like recently and came accross this release a while ago:
KVZE & TUAMIE - Dedication (Album Sampler)
Can't post link yet:cry: it's on youtube

Most of these tracks sounds somehow LoFi/old school, it s hard to describe with my limited English knowledge but I really crave these sounds textures.
So i opened up ableton live and tried to work on that with EQ (low pass) filters, saturation and soft clipping.
Unfortunately, I couldn't quite get what I am looking for. Especially regarding those heartbeat like kicks (easily audible with the track starting from around 9:00) and snares.
Any insights about it?I am still wondering whether it s a processing problem or a sample selection one...:monkey:

Last edited:
One big thing about the kicks is that everything else is sidechained to them which adds a lot of their effect.

Try making the kicks from scratch by getting a sine wave with an envelope on both the pitch (just a tiny bit) and the volume (again, just a little bit) then using clipping.

Not sure about the snares but youre along the right lines with distorting a sampled snare, could be a sample selection problem.

Thanks for your feedback bro!
I have taken time to rework it and it was definitively helpful.

Just to share what I found: a good mix of saturation and the right amount of bitcrushing (i used redux in Ableton) make the trick an got me really close to that particular sound!
Basically lofi productions technics (there are tons of subjects about it on the web for more details, with some good topics on reddit /LofiHipHop).

See ya!

Back