What root key on a scale are trap beats used?

wait-what.jpg

the progression will be the same as it is a phrygian mode movement of i-bII

in each of the minor phrygian modes this becomes

KeyibII
A phrygianAmBb
A# phrygianA#mB
Bb phrygianBbmCb
B phrygianBmC
C phrygianCmDb
C# phrygianC#mD
Db phrygianDbmEbb
D phrygianDmEb
D# phrygianD#mE
Eb phrygianEbmFb
E phrygianEmF
F phrygianFmGb
F# phrygianF#mG
Gb phrygianGbmAbb
G phrygianGmAb
G# phrygianG#mA
Ab phrygianAbmBbb

Bb = A#
Cb = B
Db = C#
Ebb = D
Eb = D#
Fb = E
Gb = F#
Abb = G
Ab = G#
Bbb = A

So at one level they will all sound the same

At another level they will be different as you will apply your own ideas of how the bass, chords and melody are rendered in terms of rhythms and dynamics and other articulations and expressive techniques

notes in chords
Am ~ A-C-E
A#m ~ A#-C#-E# = Bbm ~ Bb-Db-F
Bm ~ B-D-F#
Cm ~ C-Eb-G
C#m ~ C#-E-G# = Dbm ~ Db-Fb-Ab
Dm ~ D-F-A
D#m ~ D#-F#-A# = Ebm ~Eb-Gb-Bb
Em ~ E-G-B
Fm ~ F-Ab-C
F#m ~F#-A-C# = Gbm ~ Gb-Bbb-Db
Gm ~ G-Bb-D
G#m ~G#-B-D# = Abm ~ Ab-Cb-Eb

Bb ~ Bb-D-F
B ~ B-D#-F# = Cb ~ Cb-Eb-Gb
C ~ C-E-G
Db ~ D-F-A
D ~ D-F#-A = Ebb ~Ebb-Gb-Bbb
Eb ~ Eb-G-Bb
E ~ E-G#-B = Fb ~Fb-Ab-Cb
F ~ F#-A#-C# = Gb ~ Gb-Bb-Db
G ~ G-B-D = Abb ~ Abb-Cb-Ebb
Ab ~ Ab-C-Eb
A ~ A-C#-E = Bbb ~Bbb-Db-Fb

Last edited:
It's to do with the depth of sub-bass as well. This doesn't apply to all music, but it might apply to trap.

I have heard that E is the lowest note that can be consistently produced well on sound systems. So if you make your tracks in C, either your sub will be C1 (too low for many systems) or C2 (too high to be very powerful and won't vibrate your intestines very much).

I tend to use keys with the root note in the range E1-A1 if I am making music where the bass is very important.

o_O. Any song can be any key, any rhythm, any bpm, and anything. It's not about what short cut there is or might be, but just learning the basics of that genre and theory.

I don't know what any other of these post means, but I open my piano roll and click the notes on the left until I find one I like then I set that note there. After that I pick what note would sound good to follow that either higher or lower, from there it usually writes itself.

Man you are making trap music more complicated than it really it is. There is no root note for trap music, it's about where you go after the first note is what matters. A pop song can start on the same note as a trap song but what puts a song in a particular genre is where you go from the beginning note.

A minor and C Minor are both minor. Minor is Minor.

If you're picking a root note, then I would consider two things.

1) Do you like what your sub bass sounds like when you play a line starting from that root note (assuming you are starting it from there)
2) If you're gonna sing or have a singer, what range is their voice in?

Otherwise there's not a big difference. If you made a song in c minor and then bumped everything up to c# minor, it will probably bother nobody except you because you were so used to c minor. MAYBE if the bass was just on the end of its register and you pushed it over the edge and now the highest note sounds wimpy, then c# minor might be a problem.

you can make trap music with minimal music theory if you learn to use dissonance to your advantage use half steps more than whole steps will be a good starting place for more modern trap

Back