What are the Right Progressions to make trippy wiz khalifa beats ??

Sal_Meth

TrillWavez
I've been making alot of trap beats, i mean aloot, and am afraid if i make some More i would hate the Trap, which is not something i want. Wanted to try to make a Wiz Khalifa beat and i found myself Lost.
What are some Instruments and Chord Progressions you advise me to use ??
i know i have to use alot of Pads !!

Pads, saw and sine analog leads, sample some indie singing shit (I.e. Imogen heap, Teagan and Sara), typical trap drum sounds along with some out there percussion and metal samples... a lot of his progressions are simple like from Mezmorized, That Good, and another song eye can't think of right now is I - (low) V - (High) IV..

Last edited:
As with most things to do with understanding how someone does something analysis is the first step.

Unfortunately, my dear sosan, you have the wrong progressions for the two songs you cited:

Mezmorized

Key: D[sup]b[/sup] (I)

D[sup]b[/sup]-Fm (I-iii)
D[sup]b[/sup] = D[sup]b[/sup]-F-A[sup]b[/sup]
Fm = F-A[sup]b[/sup]-C

That Good

Key: E[sup]b[/sup] (I)

E[sup]b[/sup]-Gm (I-iii)
E[sup]b[/sup] = E[sup]b[/sup]-G-B[sup]b[/sup]
Gm = G-B[sup]b[/sup]-D

It seems like the two above are an extension or outgrowth of trap (iii-IV, at least in Justice-League approach); i.e. chord iii is the crux of the biscuit in both cases....

I decided to look at another track just to satisfy my curiosity and this is what I found:

Work Hard Play Hard

Key: Em (i)
Verse 1
Em (i)

Chorus
Em-G-C-D (i-[sup]b[/sup]III-[sup]b[/sup]VI-[sup]b[/sup]VII)
Em-G-C-Am (i-[sup]b[/sup]III-[sup]b[/sup]VI-iv)

Verse 2
Em (i)

Chorus

verse 3
Em-Bm-C-D (i-v-[sup]b[/sup]VI-[sup]b[/sup]VII)
Em-Bm-C-Am (i-v-[sup]b[/sup]VI-iv)

Chorus

Em = E-G-B
G = G-B-D
C = C-E-G
D = D-F[sup]#[/sup]-A
Am = A-C-E
Bm = B-D-F[sup]#[/sup]

A bit more complex with the chorus progression with Bm being substituted for the G in the Chorus being used for the final verse; chord v and chord [sup]b[/sup]III are reasonable substitutes for each other in most natural minor chord progressions: If we were to extend chord [sup]b[/sup]III to its 7th we would have G[sup]maj7[/sup] in this key which consists of G-B-D-F[sup]#[/sup]; i.e. chord v is found in the 7th built on chord [sup]b[/sup]III.

Name some other tracks so that we can be certain that we are hitting more of the possibilities that come through from whiz.....

Hmmm... eye am pretty sure in Mezmorized E is the tonic.. And that the bass notes of the chords are going E down to A up to G.... Db sounds really out to my ear.. trying playing with it? and then for That Good eye hear Db down to F#... Get back to me... Oh and go help me with my Pad, Arp, Lead post lol... Thanks :)

What about Whiz Khalifa - Oz's and LB's
it's a sample but still

Cm - A[sup]b[/sup] (i-[sup]b[/sup]VI (natural minor 1-2-[sup]b[/sup]3-4-5-[sup]b[/sup]6-[sup]b[/sup]7-8))

occasionally it is

Cm-B[sup]b[/sup]-A[sup]b[/sup] (i-[sup]b[/sup]VII-[sup]b[/sup]VI - which confirms the natural minor assertion above)

there is a downwards line that goes:

G-A[sup]b[/sup]-F-G-E[sup]b[/sup]-F-D-E[sup]b[/sup]-C-D-B[sup]b[/sup]-C-A[sup]b[/sup]-B[sup]b[/sup]-A[sup]b[/sup]-G-A[sup]b[/sup]-F etc

which sounds similar to that heard in the guitar solo of Lionel Ritchies' "Hello" though this just keeps going downwards

Cm = C-E[sup]b[/sup]-G
B[sup]b[/sup] = B[sup]b[/sup]-D-F
A[sup]b[/sup] = A[sup]b[/sup]-C-E[sup]b[/sup]

Bc how do you always figure this out? Years of ear training? Or is there more to it?

years of training, even more years of practice, checking on an instrument, knowing how to reduce the specific to the general

Cm - A[SUP]b[/SUP] (i-[SUP]b[/SUP]VI (natural minor 1-2-[SUP]b[/SUP]3-4-5-[SUP]b[/SUP]6-[SUP]b[/SUP]7-8))

occasionally it is

Cm-B[SUP]b[/SUP]-A[SUP]b[/SUP] (i-[SUP]b[/SUP]VII-[SUP]b[/SUP]VI - which confirms the natural minor assertion above)

there is a downwards line that goes:

G-A[SUP]b[/SUP]-F-G-E[SUP]b[/SUP]-F-D-E[SUP]b[/SUP]-C-D-B[SUP]b[/SUP]-C-A[SUP]b[/SUP]-B[SUP]b[/SUP]-A[SUP]b[/SUP]-G-A[SUP]b[/SUP]-F etc

which sounds similar to that heard in the guitar solo of Lionel Ritchies' "Hello" though this just keeps going downwards

Cm = C-E[SUP]b[/SUP]-G
B[SUP]b[/SUP] = B[SUP]b[/SUP]-D-F
A[SUP]b[/SUP] = A[SUP]b[/SUP]-C-E[SUP]b[/SUP]

years of training, even more years of practice, checking on an instrument, knowing how to reduce the specific to the general

Thanks BC
Honestly I'm trying to listen but I don't ever hear any progressions that consist of just 2 chords...I always understand the concept of where you're coming from and i'll often test what you're saying but I have a hard time fully grasping it.
The main progression I'm hearing, which is that first 5 seconds of the song.
I hear 3 chords that sretch over 2 bars.
Sounds like 3 chords, on the last beat of the 1st bar before it moves into the 2nd bar I'm hearing another chord. Or is that just a not they're adding as an accent to move into the 2nd chord?

To be specific I'm refering to the first 6 seconds of the song.
At 3 seconds you'll hear the tone i'm refering to before moving into the 2nd chord.

I think maybe what I'm hearing is just an individual note?

So, yeah, as I do point out a little further down, there is a third chord that appears occasionally - the B[sup]b[/sup]

[mp3]http://www.bandcoach.org/fp/audio/whiz-ouncesAndPounds.mp3[/mp3]

whiz-ouncesAndPounds.png

Several different ways of doing this as sometimes it is just a hint above the C bass that the chord has been changed to B[sup]b[/sup] or even just one of the notes from the chord is used or even two notes.

I've also written in the descending line I mention in my first response on this track as the last two bars....

Back