what keys work good together?

tonymbeats

I was wondering if there were certain keys that always work good together. ex root note and the 7th usually sound good.

thanks. i know about chords i am more concerned with creating melodies that go with chord progressions. for example if i go 1,4,5 in the key of a minor from what i understand i would make my melody out of the a minor scale?? or would i go 1-(a minor scale) 4-(d minor scale) 5- (minor scale)? also lets say I'm in the key of a minor and i hit the chord (a c e) with left hand i usually would have my right hand on the A and that would start my melody. or would any key in the scale of a minor work? hope its not too confusing thanks for the reply by the way

OK,

You can use any note from the scale as long as you resolve it. Melodic writing and music in general is about the creation of tension (dissonance - non-chord tones against a chord) and its resolution to consonance (chord tones).

So in your example, start on F or B or D against your A minor triad - see what follows well and what follows poorly.

I have a similar question bandcoach how do you know what bass cleff notes go right with the treble cleff same scale like say im playing a melody in c major scale like CCEFGGFE and when you hear piano play you hear the bass cleff hit on certain notes so when i play the C on the treble do i hit the C on the bass cleff does it matter? how do i know what goes well with what note? Is that like using modes as you explained to me earlier just single notes except chords??

I have a similar question bandcoach how do you know what bass cleff notes go right with the treble cleff same scale like say im playing a melody in c major scale like CCEFGGFE and when you hear piano play you hear the bass cleff hit on certain notes so when i play the C on the treble do i hit the C on the bass cleff does it matter? how do i know what goes well with what note? Is that like using modes as you explained to me earlier just single notes except chords??

Here you hit the nail on the head, so to speak what should go against a not in the treble from the bass clef - answer anything.

Longer answer Almost anything:

[mp3]http://www.bandcoach.org/fp/audio/martay.mp3[/mp3]

martay.png

Consider the above harmonisations. They are based on what notes are found in each chord within C major including extensions tothe 7th and the 9th.

ChordTones7th9th
CC-E-GC-E-G-BC-E-G-B-D
DmD-F-AD-F-A-CD-F-A-C-E
EmE-G-BE-G-B-DE-G-B-D-F
FF-A-CF-A-C-EF-A-C-E-G
GG-B-DG-B-D-FG-B-D-F-A
AmA-C-EA-C-E-GA-C-E-G-B
Bm[sup]b5[/sup]B-D-FB-D-F-AB-D-F-A-C

I have highlighted the notes from you melody in this table. The thing is that as a result of which chords they appear in, we can harmonise them with any note from those chords. Some are more effective than others, but all are valid. The direction with which we enter certain notes also affects their ability to sound as a reasonable harmony or a forced harmony.

Please keep the questions coming as you are starting us into territory that I have not covered here before - note against note and building layers upon layers.

Last edited:
I think this is my first post ... I'm learning to, and i've hit a brick wall. Its like I know its so much I need to learn, but i'm confused in what process to learn what. But i've wondered plenty of times if i'm playin a synth or somethin in the treble ... and I hit a C for instance ... Does the note in the bass also have to be a C at that same time?

I think this is my first post ... I'm learning to, and i've hit a brick wall. Its like I know its so much I need to learn, but i'm confused in what process to learn what. But i've wondered plenty of times if i'm playin a synth or somethin in the treble ... and I hit a C for instance ... Does the note in the bass also have to be a C at that same time?

Scales, like dude up there already said.. I second this cause I was in your position because I overlooked the importance of scales. There are no rules though. Whatever sounds good to you. I'd suggest learnin as much music theory as you can mentally handle & more & pracetice on them keys. Practice 30 minutes everday freestylin, record it. Then listen back & take note of what you like & don't like. Alota ppl overlook the importance of bein on the keys too. You can 'know' all the music theory in the world, but if you don't APPLY it.. What good is it? Nothin....

Back