What is double time [FL STUDIO] JJ

Sbonthebeat

WWW.SBONTHEBEAT.COM
Ok i was chilling with the homies tonight watching johnny juliano make a beat on ustream ...and he did something called double time he took his 140 tempo in put it into a 75 tempo some how in he was doing some snares sound so good ... but some reason i cant get my snares to come out that way ...anybody got a idea or tutorial on it ? or what it is something?:confused:

SMH @ musical ignorance supported by scholastic mathematics.

If you do a beat at 70bpm in 1/16ths, "double time" would be a changing your count to 1/32nds while still at 70bpm. But we live in a time where folk play "follow the leader", so JJ's unorthodox and fairly ignorant technique is echoed rather than the proper procedure being used in the 1st place.

Again, no offense to him, I love his music, he's an amazing producers, just amuses me how people try to follow his amateur approaches that take more work than doing things properly. Yet have threads about "what book to read to learn to play music like him".

Learn about quantizing and you'll never need to change a set BPM in the production process to achieve this 'double time" as you all call it.

Double time just wat it sounds like u double ur BPM for instance u select a BPM of 70 u double time ur hihats

ima southern producer i use this technique alot so does my idol Drumma it pretty easy to understand

---------- Post added at 05:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:37 AM ----------

but let me jus say JJ misusing the term essentially we all misuse the term double time

Guys, what is the benefit to recording in double time? Sometime when I collab with guys ill get the BPM and it will be up there but once I cut in half its where I record. I just want to know why some people record in double time. Thanks.

Yeah, the only producer in this thread apparently(other than Sam Pepper) who understands quantizing. I'm the problem. :rolleyes:

This guy! :rolleyes: lol
I know how to quantize pretty good actually thank you very much

The OP ask a question about double time--I'll stop here and hold my tongue

^^^So what's the logic in doubling your BPMs when you can maintain consistency by simply doubling your counts? Even quadrupling them?

Why does it make more sense to go from 70bpm to 140 than to go from 70bpm at 1/16 to 70bpm at 1/32. That way, you don't f**k up your bar count, you don't have to readjust every music pattern that you want to keep the same after "double time", ect. But of course you know all that. So you mad I indirectly said you didn't know what you talking bout? I never addressed ya nondescriptive 4 word sentence of a post as anything other that bullsh*t in a thread full of bullsh*t. Which it absolutely was.

Don't try to play like you knew from square one and still chose to offer your post to the convo with no clarification. If you did, you contributed nothing anyway so keep holding your tongue. That's what you been doing.

Last edited:
well in fl studio can somebody show me wtf this is ..lol yall got out of subject of a help me question and thanks for the people that helped me ..

well in fl studio can somebody show me wtf this is ..lol yall got out of subject of a help me question and thanks for the people that helped me ..

dude, people already answered your question.

1 bar = 4 beats.
1 beat = 4 steps

You can fit 16 steps in a bar. If you put a high hat on each one that's pretty normal.

You can fit 32 HALF steps in each bar. If you put a high hat on each one that's pretty damn fast = DOUBLE TIME.

You do know how to use the piano roll right?

Simple as that, leave your BPM alone.

And to the guy askin why you should record in double time, theres no benefit. Honestly idk what your talking about. Set the tempo of the project to the beat's tempo and record at it. IF you did it double time (guessin your sayin lik 140 instead of 70) the beat would be twice as fast. And why would you want to record on a beat that is twice as fast as it should be?

Last edited:
^^^So what's the logic in doubling your BPMs when you can maintain consistency by simply doubling your counts? Even quadrupling them?

Why does it make more sense to go from 70bpm to 140 than to go from 70bpm at 1/16 to 70bpm at 1/32. That way, you don't f**k up your bar count, you don't have to readjust every music pattern that you want to keep the same after "double time", ect. But of course you know all that. So you mad I indirectly said you didn't know what you talking bout? I never addressed ya nondescriptive 4 word sentence of a post as anything other that bullsh*t in a thread full of bullsh*t. Which it absolutely was.

Don't try to play like you knew from square one and still chose to offer your post to the convo with no clarification. If you did, you contributed nothing anyway so keep holding your tongue. That's what you been doing.
Sir this is exactly my point I hardly ever double time bcus I just go from 80 BPM 1/16 notes to 80 BPM 1/32 1/8 to 1/16, 1/16 to 1/128 if i wanted to he asked a specific question instead of tellin him what NOT to do I simply answer his question "Double time just wat it sounds like u double ur BPM for instance u select a BPM of 70 u double time ur hihats"<< I don't question the processes of others if that the way he makes music then so let it be I'm guessing that's why Johnny isn't at the top of the soundclick charts everytime u look at it excuse my sarcasm johnny, u don't kno how to quantize u suck <<message to johnny!

---------- Post added at 05:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:21 PM ----------

lol@ ppl arguing over who's better at quantizing.

Lmfao if I don't argue in real life why would I argue with a perfect musician on a forum? I'll hold my tongue here

Last edited:
Sir this is exactly my point I hardly ever double time bcus I just go from 80 BPM 1/16 notes to 80 BPM 1/32 1/8 to 1/16, 1/16 to 1/128 if i wanted to he asked a specific question instead of tellin him what NOT to do I simply answer his question "Double time just wat it sounds like u double ur BPM for instance u select a BPM of 70 u double time ur hihats"<< I don't question the processes of others if that the way he makes music then so let it be I'm guessing that's why Johnny isn't at the top of the soundclick charts everytime u look at it excuse my sarcasm johnny, u don't kno how to quantize u suck <<message to johnny!

---------- Post added at 05:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:21 PM ----------

Lmfao if I don't argue in real life why would I argue with a perfect musician on a forum? I'll hold my tongue here

Sarcasm doesn't evade your participation in futility.

I said from jump JJ does what he does, is successful at it and has an amazing sound. With unorthodox methods that fit you, can can do the same. But copying another's unorthodox methods can lead you down a road to a very unprofessional sound.

What happens when someone with no clue of what they're doing has used "double time" and a potential buyer needs a beat arranged for 2 24 bar verses? They'll actually get 12, 16, or 18 bar verses depending on when the "double time" kicked in and for how long if dude follow rulers in their DAW like an amateur who knows no other way to do 1/32nds more than likely would?

JJ's obviously competent enough to know better. He may double BPMs because that's an easier method to incorporate his hardware into everything. He's not the one asking "how to" he's the one doing.

So yeah, keep biting your tongue. Sorry I contributed proper techniques to a thread. I guess since Storch snorts a line before doing a beat and he's had the success he's had, I'd be some type elitist for telling folk snorting lines is bad as well? GTFOH.

And I'm far from a "perfect musician". I do plenty of unorthodox and flat out wrong things in music production myself. But I'm aware of this and would not tell the next guy to do the same.

Last edited:
Thread summary. Double time is:

* A musical term for incorporating a double tempo part in a song.
* A trick of using double the actual tempo of a song to circumvent the limitations of (usually) old sequencers to increase their resolution.
* The misunderstood version of the above for software users who don't really know their way around their tools.

Back