What do you start your songs with first?:) chords, melody or bassline

It usually depends on what I'm finding inspiring to write with when I sit down to compose, but I usually start with a chord sequence!

I start with the melody i have in my mind, whatever that means (keys, arp, bass, perc, etc). The difficult part is that when i get the inspiration i usually can't write it down or use a computer and memorizing more than 5 chords is just too much for me.. :4theloveofgod:Sometimes i record them in phone which is bad, because my vocals are bad. :pointing: Keep up the good work!

Usually an intro, jk. I definitely agree with the others that chord progressions are a great place to start because essentially they contain an unrefined version of the other two elements.

Unfortunately, I usually enter my studio without any ideas. I almost always start with drums (and percussion if applicable) to get a groove & tempo. Nodding to that gets ideas flowing, and I almost always write with the bass next. That foundation usually gets me off to a good start, but no telling how many groove tracks I have waiting for gravy.

It depends! The most common one is that I hear a melody in my head and I try to figure it out on either a piano or a guitar. Whatever's closest to me at the time. Then I sit down and analyze the melody to identify the different notes function depending on what chord I use etc. =)

I usually start with laying down the chords.
Then I create the intro, and an atmosphere etc. I'll then re-use the atmosphere I create in the intro through the chorus, build, sometimes the drop, and the break. This creates a similar atmosphere throughout the track.

I usually begin with chord progressions or melody, but I have to say, the few times I've started out with the drums the end result are actually pretty good, so might have to start doing that more often.

I mostly start with a preset I always use (it's just a simple Sylenth1 preset). With this preset I make the chords with a melody on top of it. When I like the chord progression and melody I try to find a new sound for the melody. After that i create the structure of a track in about 1 hour. When that's finished I change all the sounds for sounds I want to use. By creating the chords and melody, I always use a simple hihat which gives the right tempo, so I'm sure that it works.

Midi loop, midi controls, generators, integrated chord lists. I don't have the patience to start from scratch.

Back